Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runner who can't run anymore? page

PDXRunner is offline Junior Member

Question Runner who can't run anymore?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the Paleo/Primal Lifestyle. Today is only Day 9. Overall I feel great. The headaches have disappeared, the brain fog has lifted, and I feel thinner than 9 days ago. Truly amazing.

But I've also noticed that my endurance has really suffered. I ran several races last year (10k and Half Marathons), and this year I'm training for a marathon (coming up in May). I usually go to the gym early in the morning, because I'm up anyway. I have things like coconut milk/berry/almond butter shakes to make sure I get enough carbs but also some protein into my body before running. And yet, especially this morning, running on something as easy as the treadmill I barely lasted half an hour.

I'd like to know if this is temporary. Before I started living this way I depended pretty heavily on bread and grains. I ate a lot more processed sugars than I realized. I suppose part of me hopes, that this is my body getting used to this new life. But I'd like to know for sure!!

Did anybody else feel like this in the beginning? When did it go away? I'm a bit frustrated, because I really love to run, and well, there is that marathon in May...

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    I'm new to PB, too (like day 7). Last week I felt an increase in energy while running. I had a big dinner the night before and went to gym on empty stomach. I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    It is temporary - mostly.

Your best bet is to slow down. No slower. Nooooo, slower than that........ until you get through the carb flu. How long it takes depends on how carb loaded you were before, how great your tendency is to do most of your training runs too fast (meaning REALLY used to running on carbs instead of fat) and how you approach the carb detox.

I got my endurance at a slower speed back fairly quickly, but I went fairly cold turkey. (carbs from veggies, nuts, plain greek yogurt but no fruit or roots yet.). My speed isnt back yet but I have confidence I will get there. If I need to I will look at some strategic carb usage, but only once I am confident I am through the carb flu
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

I wanted to add....even outside the PB world MOST runners rely far too heavily on burning glycogen during training when they are training for marathons. Even by classic training/eating most of your runs should be done in a state that burns a large % of fat for fuel. When you unleash the beast on race day you will be that much more able to utilize the carb load if you can burn a higher % of fat throughout your training.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

runnerbean is offline Member
    Are you eating enough total?
    When I first starting eating more primally, I found that I really had to pay attention to not run a huge calorie deficit every day.
    I also don't see much reason to really restrict carbs at the expense of performance if you're doing lots of training. Mark talks about adding 100g carbs/hr of exercise. Even eating a TON of fruit and sweet potatoes, I find it tough to consume that much.
    If I'm doing a hard session first thing in the morning, I'll usually have a banana and some coffee beforehand, some raisins right after as I'm getting changed, etc and then eat something proper with lots of protein and fat.
    Paleo for Athletes by Cordain/Friel is worth reading as is Nell Stephenson's blog http://stephenson.typepad.com

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    I second Paleo Diet for Athletes. It is a good read!

PDXRunner is offline Junior Member
    runnergal, I love the term carb flu. Thank you for your reply. It's kind of what I was hoping for. And yes, I did rely pretty heavily on grains and other carbs before. So I'm assuming my body is just going to take a bit longer.

runnerbean, thank you for the link and book recommendation. I did plan to buy that book already, so now I have more reason to do so. Also, I'm being very careful to take in enough calories throughout the day, although I must admit it got more difficult after I stopped eating bread and cheese.

Thank you also, Dr. Bork Bork.

I did slow down my workouts, but may have to slow down even more as you've mentioned.
    Again, thanks so much. This is a big help already.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    It took me two to three weeks to fully adjust.
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

eisenreich is offline Member
    In addition to what others have already mentioned, a few good links that are relevant to your situation:
    How to Burn Fat Instead of Sugar and Never Bonk Again

Can You Be an Endurance Athlete and Primal? - MDA
    Primal Compromises for Athletes - MDA

As someone training for ultramarathons, the idea of running for hours with nothing but water and salt pills is fascinating. Not to mention all of the money you save on GUs

You said that your race is in May; not sure whether this is enough time to adequately adjust to fat as your primary fuel source. From the article: "This is a gradual process. If you currently take in a lot of sugar before and during your runs and you suddenly stop supplying it to your body, you'll bonk, and it'll be dangerous. Introduce these concepts slowly and gradually, and always carry a few gels with you for emergencies."

PDX - I was hoping to post this yesterday but forgot. I hope you got off the treadmill and outside one of these nice rain free days (yesterday was GORGEOUS!!). I find it harder on the treadmill to really listen to what is an appropriate pace. Yesterday I went out and ran 9.6 miles and just focused on making the effort FEEL like a long run should feel. I do have a Garmin but I didnt watch it. Afterwards though I was pleased to note that each mile got faster by just a little bit even though I am still on the ~ 65 g a day of carbs.

Ironically I believe the pace I held yesterday, about 20 seconds slower than I had been doing my long runs recently, was actually more appropriate. I lost a lot of fitness and gained a lot of weight in the fall and while I slowed down some, I think pride was preventing me from slowing down enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast