Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensitive blood glucose concerns. page

jandge is offline Senior Member

Sensitive blood glucose concerns.

Primal Fuel
    My mom's finally jumping on the wagon today!

We're all excited about this, but I'm sorta of worried about her blood glucose - it's crazy sensitive (I've seen her BG range from 30 to 400+ over the years). She takes Novalog and Lantus with instances of low BG daily. Her pancreas is completely shot - she gave up with trying to regulate it through any CW diet years ago. And she doesn't check her BG because it just depresses her after awhile. We do have a monitor now though.

I'm also looking for the best way to help her out of low blood sugar quickly without stuffing her full of orange juice (sometimes she reverts to a child and refuses to eat). A lot of the time she comes home from work and she's already hypoglycemic - so it's hard to get her to eat food and then have it work fast enough. Maybe OJ would still be the best option in these circumstances until we can get BG/insulin regulated?

Any advice about reduction of insulin and information on steering clear from hypoglycemia would be helpful, and I'm willing to provide more details if needed.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
    Congenital Hypothyroid
    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    She needs to go very low carb to stabilize her blood sugars. Even after one day of VLC she should be stable enough to not need the OJ. Tomato juice is a better option as OJ will cause a sharp raise and then a crash. She should also supplement VitD3, omega 3 and Zymessence systemic enzymes.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    What SAQ said.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

We were planning to do VLC for her, so I'm glad to hear it'll stabilize that quickly. Normally when she tries a diet, there's a week of crashes and lots of midnight crazies.

I know about vitD and fish oil, haven't really read about the enzymes before. And thanks for the recommendation about the tomato juice, the OJ spike and crash was exactly what I was worried about.

Congenital Hypothyroid

emmie is offline Senior Member
    She also needs to eat more frequently than most of us. My sister is a type 2 diabetic, and she has a stressful job, so often she fails to eat during the workday, and by 2 pm, she's scarfing down a candy bar because of her hypoglycemia. She just doesn't get organized to keep food available that she can snack on (and she has a full kitchen at work!).

Your mother may do something similar--in terms of not eating during the workday. In addition to lunch, she probably needs a snack at about 10 am and another at 2 or 3 pm (I'm assuming a 9-5 workday).

Eating frequent small meals is very important for some diabetics to avoid hypoglycemia. If she goes VLC, that should stabilize her blood sugar, but she needs frequent meals as well.

I emphasize this because of the stress her on IF, and any type of fasting is NOT good for a diabetic.

Emmie, thanks! My mom definitely forgets to eat while at work, plus it's a walking/lift heavy things all day type of job - she also has access to food/resources!

But we have talked about food a bit. She eats a couple scrambled eggs in the morning with coffee and doesn't get hungry until about 1pm, she'll eat and then come home shaking around 4-5pm and then proceeds to eat non stop until bedtime (lots of carbs and veggies). Primal is going to be a nice way to get off that roller coaster.

Side note, fasting is good for me and I was diagnosed diabetic in Oct (refused all meds). Not sure what's going on there. Though, I know IF won't be for my mom.

Congenital Hypothyroid

SAQ, I'm not finding information about diabetes and Zymessence systemic enzymes (I suck hardcore at the search feature here and google spits back information about aging, not diabetes) could you elaborate more on them?

Congenital Hypothyroid

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    jandge, here is the info you were looking for:

Zymessence home:
    http://www.zymessence.com/index.html

Zymessence - why we need systemic enzymes:
    http://www.zymessence.com/why_systemic_enzymes.html

Thanks for those links, they were super informative and they sound fantastic, though I'm not reading anything with what they have to do with diabetes specifically. I doubt my mom would spend $80+ on that stuff anyway right now.

Congenital Hypothyroid

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Have to disagree about her having to ear more regularly than other people. With VLC that shouldn't be an issue. I'm insulin dependant and sometimes I don't eat for 24hrs, whereas my bread addicted family find it hard to go without food for three hours.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast