Thread: Cutting dairy & nuts is working! page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

Cutting dairy & nuts is working!

I've been stalled on weight loss for several months (and didn't exactly follow my plan too closely in the week or two around the holidays so that didn't help!) After reading many wise suggestions on these boards to cut dairy and nuts, I've made the bold move. No more cream in my coffee - I've switched to coconut milk. It's a little different, but I'm growing to like it. I use a little cheese once in awhile as more of a condiment than a stand-alone food. And I've stopped snacking on nuts. Previously, I would eat a handful or two of almonds in the afternoon as a snack. I've stopped that trick.

I've also upped my fat intake somewhat. I'm not counting grams or anything, but just adding more things like avocado, cooking my veggies in bacon fat, etc.

In any case, I'm finally seeing the scale moving again. Yay! I was skeptical at first, but these changes weren't that hard to make, and it's nice to see the scale moving again. Just thought I would share in case others are in the same boat.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome!!! I am so glad to hear this because my experience has been similar. I started PB about 9 months ago and dropped maybe 12 pounds - I felt great, clothes were fitting better, but then the leaning out stalled. I, too, was eating dairy (whipping cream in coffee, cheese a few times a week, a little greek yogurt here and there) and eating nuts.

I cut dairy this month (I'm doing whole30 - a 30 day paleo super clean diet). I didn't cut nuts or nightshades or eggs, but just cutting dairy and alcohol seems to be making a big difference. Jeans are looser, and I feel great.

I'm about halfway through and am thinking of cutting nuts out for last two weeks - I sometimes overindulge on them, so I think it will help.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

janagram is offline Senior Member
    great! I have my own cutbacks ( or cut-outs), namely, eggs and dairy except for cream and ghee...and the results are good, but I kinda need to cut out nuts too....I just ate almond butter off a spoon...you know that trick? bad.....thaks for the inspiration!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Please keep in mind that it's not the food itself but the indugence that's the problem. We have to be careful not to demonize things like eggs or nuts that are good in themselves. The key to weight loss when eating primal is to insure that there's a calorie deficit, and snacks are the easiest thing to cut back on.

But I can easily lose weight while having a T of almond butter now and then as a treat (right off the tablespoon!) so long as I limit myself and insure that overall I'm at a deficit. Since I don't eat any sweeteners or fruit, almond butter is my only real 'treat.'

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Please keep in mind that it's not the food itself but the indugence that's the problem. We have to be careful not to demonize things like eggs or nuts that are good in themselves. The key to weight loss when eating primal is to insure that there's a calorie deficit, and snacks are the easiest thing to cut back on.

But I can easily lose weight while having a T of almond butter now and then as a treat (right off the tablespoon!) so long as I limit myself and insure that overall I'm at a deficit. Since I don't eat any sweeteners or fruit, almond butter is my only real 'treat.'
    Emmie - I totally agree with your POV. I think my problem has been that I have overindulged on nuts & dairy. For me, the easiest way to break something that I'm struggling with, is to cut it out for awhile. I look forward to adding nuts and nut butters (and more cheese) back into my diet in the future when I know that I can be in control of portions, etc. In the meantime, if it's helping me kick-start some weightloss, then I'm thrilled to do without them for a little while.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post

Yes, this is totally true for me with nuts, but my reason for cutting dairy right now is to trim a bit of weight, and it absolutely seems to be making a difference, and I never was one to overindulge on dairy (macademia nuts, yes, are very easy for me to overindulge).

I've been listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts, and he explains that dairy (even grassfed) is a powerful growth promotor (hence the reason it's often used by people trying to gain weight, i.e. weight lifters). He's not against dairy per se unless a person has a bad reaction to it (and as long as it's from grass fed sources), but he says a person who is trying to "lean out" (his words) should absolutely cut dairy. Once I get where I want to be, I'll likely phase back some heavy cream and grassfed butter, as I'm not lactose intolerant, and I don't overindulge in it. And, in no way, am I trying to demonize dairy or nuts.

Results speak for themselves though... it's the main change I've made the last two weeks -- coconut milk instead of cream in my coffee, no cheese, etc. -- and I am definitely experiencing a noticeably flatter stomach and believe I've dropped a few pounds (have not weighed).

I believe my loss is due to eliminating dairy, so it's just something to think about.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is working for me too!!

40+, hypothyroid, female
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates