Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Ph, Cancer, and Veganism page

Mandolin is offline Senior Member

Body Ph, Cancer, and Veganism

Shop Now
    I've been Primal for about 2 months now, and have been doing a lot of thinking about what I used to believe was the key to health and longevity. My husband and I have done more than our fair share of alternative cancer therapies and prevention--looking at everything from laetrile to the Budwig Diet (and everything in between). It is well known that cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment, which is why most of these alternative therapies rely heavily--if not SOLELY--on raw, vegan foods. The Hippocrates Institute, for instance, uses raw juicing along with a raw diet to quite literally cure people--stopping tumor growth and reversing it in its tracks.

My question is, how does the Primal Diet affect our body's Ph? I see many people eating meat by the tons--not unlike the Adkins diet. This will cause an acidic environment in the body, correct? How do you find a balance?

FTR, I have been feeling terrific on this diet, and I've lost about 10lbs so far. My concern is that I'm more motivated by vanity and "looking good," than long-term health and disease prevention. I eat TONS of veggies, but I'm wondering if it's enough to offset the meat/fat acidity. Am I over-thinking all of this?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Tumours don't like ketones either.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Tumours don't like ketones either.
    True And a more Primal answer would probably be "Grok, most likely, did NOT die of cancer." I guess what I am curious to find out is, if eating a Primal diet is as effective at disease cure and prevention as all of the tried-and-true alternative "CW" treatments.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    The body self-regulates ph with calcium/magnesium/potassium anyway I believe.

Remember tons of veggies and tons of meat is primal...they're not mutually exclusive.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I don't recall where I've read this, but my understanding is that acid pH is caused by meat *and grains* -- take away the grains, meat is not much of an issue. And that veggies alkalinize. So meat + veggies with no grains leads to the balance you want. (And Atkins stresses veggies too, by the way, only limits them somewhat strictly in the induction phase. There is enormous overlap between Atkins or other low-carb plans done with whole foods and Primal.)

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Science has shown repeatedly: cancer thrives on glucose. This is why so many uncontrolled diabetics (like my late father) develop cancer.

If you aren't providing the cancer cells with glucose, they die off. They can't use ketones because the mitochondria in cancer cells are malformed and can't process ketones or fatty acids. So the best cancer prevention is to NOT EAT CARBS, especially processed carbs that result in quick shots of glucose to the bloodstream.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Paleo is heavily pro-alkaline (one of the differences between primal and paleo; and probably another way Mark Sisson tries to simplify the transition for the metabolically deranged -- keep it simple). Just be conscious of your ph when planning meals and you will be fine. Additionally some of the yummiest foods are also super alkalines: red wine, spinach, figs etc.
    ad astra per aspera

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Ultimately, good mineral status is what keeps us alkaline (and meat does have minerals). You can be TOO alkaline, though and that's not healthy. Some people's saliva ph becomes more alkaline when they eat more protein. It's not as cut and dried as "The Ph Miracle" makes it sound. Urine Ph will naturally be more acidic than saliva, since we excrete acid wastes.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I just needed some validation that what I'm doing isn't going to come back and bite me in the ass I tried PCRM's 21-day vegan kickstart last summer. I tried to keep a positive attitude. I tried to keep up a blog about my vegan experience:http://smalltownhealth.wordpress.com/. It ended up not being fun, and I soon gave up both endeavors--lifestyle & blog. If you check out the blog, you'll notice the TONS of grains I was eating. A friend had been telling me about The Primal Blueprint, and we DID have a whole side of grass-fed beef in our freezer, so I decided to give it a shot. From weight-loss perspective, it's the best decision I've ever made. The food tastes great, and I don't have to worry about eating the things I love--butter, eggs, bacon...I could go on here And now, after reading your responses, I feel much better about the long-term health benefits, as well!

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Red wine alkaline? :O Any sources/links? Please make this thrue :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast