Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big heart rate increase, is this normal? page

incognomen Guest

Shop Now

I "went primal" about 8 days ago. I'm a 32 year old man, 6'1" and weighed 292. In the last 8 days, I've dropped 14 pounds. This is great, but my heart rate has shot from ~72bpm to between 100-110. I had absolutely no activity on Monday (12 hours of driving will do that to you) and my heart rate actually increased from 100 on Monday morning to 110 on Tuesday morning.

Is an elevated heart rate typical when starting out?

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

you know I don't want to sound mean or nothing ..we are a very supportive group but we aren't doctors.

I think for something like this you really need to see a dr...(my humble opinion) take it or leave it

Great job on the 14 pds! xoxo Darlene

incognomen Guest

I should have mentioned that I have a physical coming up in 3 weeks, so if the high heart rate persists, I will certainly bring it up with my doctor. My question was less "OMG AM I DYING?!?!" and more "has anyone else experienced this?" Not a question my doctor will be able to answer, I don't think.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

usually when I have a high heart rate, it's an indicator that I'm coming down with something like a cold or upper respiratory infection. Didn't have tachycardia problems when switching from conventional to primal however.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

I wasn't being rude...I was just being concerned

I hope you didn't take it the wrong way cuz I certainly didn't mean it that way xoox Darlene

incognomen Guest

Darlene, I didn't think you were being rude, I was just clarifying. Incidentally, this is by far the most polite internet forum I've ever seen. It will take some getting used to.

nina_70 Guest

I can't comment on this medically (I'd have to agree w/ PrimalGoddess on the doctor). The only experience I've had personally was a significant increase in my heartrate after an IF (intermittent fast)...it felt like my body was going into metabolic overdrive & my heart was pounding like crazy. Other than that my resting heartrate has actually come down on Primal (as has my hubby's).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

" this is by far the most polite internet forum I've ever seen. It will take some getting used to."

Well, given that I'm often seen as a P.I.T.A., not true 100%. But generally, yes.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

In a word: "no". A heart rate increase like that isn't normal. I'm assuming you mean your HR is sustained over 100bpm (beats per minute).

I'm with the other guys, go to see your doc. You need to find out what's up because it could be coincidental that you have a cardiac condition that manifested when you took on primal living or something else is going on, like your thyroid being out of whack.

Regardless, get it checked out, a sustained HR over 100 ain't good for no one it predisposes you to stroke and heart attack due to clotting.

62shelby Guest

whats your hydration been like since you started? if you have lost lots of water then it likely to put pressure on your heart. but going to the doc to check it out it best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast