Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Grok: Menstruation page

shadowfoot is offline Junior Member

Mrs. Grok: Menstruation

Shop Now
    I have a question for you ladies, mostly just because I am curious. It is something I have been wondering for some time now, but, being a guy, and thus having no experience in this area, it is hard for me to speculate. What do you think Mrs. Grok would have done before pads (and whatever else women now use) during menstruation?

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    I think Mrs. Grok probably got sent off to a "menstrual hut" (cave?) to sit and bleed, or she just let it flow and went on her merry way. Or maybe she used an animal pelt to absorb it.

Thank god for tampons.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    'The Red Tent', Anita Diamant, describes in great detail what happened several thousand years! Is actually a really good story too.

Personally I wouldn't be without my mooncup, best invention ever :-)
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Maybe leaf tampons?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    'The Red Tent', Anita Diamant, describes in great detail what happened several thousand years! Is actually a really good story too.
    +1000. Fabulous book, one of the few I've read twice. The second time around was after I'd started primal, and that made it an even more interesting read.

BTW, it looks at first glance like it will be a religious book, but despite being based on characters from the old testament, it's not god-y.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Females may not have menstruated often, what with all that pregnancy, lactation....... There is a thought that the modern "habit" of menstruation is not in fact good for us.

Flexi is offline Member
    They most likely would have used moss for its absorbent qualities. And yes, monthly menstruation is a relativ new thing, however, it is being credited with homo sapiens reproducing to such large numbers - after all we can get pregnant any time of the year, rather than just in spring...:-)

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfoot View Post
    I have a question for you ladies, mostly just because I am curious. It is something I have been wondering for some time now, but, being a guy, and thus having no experience in this area, it is hard for me to speculate. What do you think Mrs. Grok would have done before pads (and whatever else women now use) during menstruation?
    Mrs. Grok didn't menstruate that much.

At one time, the data I looked at indicated that in a traditional/primitive environment (I think it was the !Kung when they were still 'untouched' hunter-gatherers) indicated that women of reproductive age spent only 11% of their fertile lives cycling v. our 80%. They were likely to become pregnant shortly after/right around sexual maturity and be either pregnant or breastfeeding until death or menopause.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup. and when they did have a cycle, it was likely a time of retreat. most of the traditional/primitive cultures have spaces for that. if it's only 11% of a woman's life, they could do without her for a few days.

modern woman, Susun Weed, suggests that women go out into the woods and just bleed. use the time as meditation (and she has lots of information about the power of that time). she also asserts that women can feel when they are bleeding, so you can -- like going to toilet -- just excuse yourself to bleed in a toilet for a while, then come back to business without having to wear a pad.

i was able to do that before i had my kid. now i just can't keep up with it. LOL

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    Going into the woods and bleeding isn't a great idea if you are in an area with bears/big cats, etc. I think they prolly used moss (super absorbent) and then the whole sacred retreat thing. Or just got on wth it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast