Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irony glimpsed in a specialty food co-op page 3

sofiawahaj Guest

Shop Now

In response to Shine's comment "Is there some random cross-section of cornfed southern vegetarians that I have yet to encounter? "

HAHAHAHAH!!! That's hilarious! I have a funny picture of a super skinny cowgirl with big teeth in my head!

Shine is offline Member

@Grandma and Maba: Now that I am reminded of them, I vaguely remember touching on Jainism in an Asian Religion class in high school. That's probably where I derived my ideas of paradoxical vegetarianism. Is that the sect that sews rows of bells to the bottom hems of their clothing in an effort to warn bugs of their impending footfalls?

@Sofia: Lol! If I ever see her, I'm taking a covert photo and posting it for sure!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Shine - I have wondered that, too, about vegans/vegetarians (not thinking plants are alive). As an herb lady, I spend A LOT of time with plants/herbs and, believe me, they're more alive (and conscious) than some people I know. They're just not all furry and cuddly. Besides, think about how much pesticide is used on veggie and grain/legume crops - especially soybeans. Like that's not killing anything! Oh, just those pesky insects! I suppose they don't count?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"The Secret Life of Plants." Anyone remember that book and that Stevie Wonder album? Earth shattering publication of researching plant's "feelings" and then...............nothing.

We are not superior to plants, only different. Killing plants, or their itty bitty embryos, seeds, or killing animals is no different in my book.

And that does even get into the genocides taking place with "amber waves of grain."

grandma is offline Member

I think many vegans would argue that if we didn't eat animals we won't grow as much grain and therefore the carnage would be reduced.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

In my experience most vegans are, well, I'm gonna say it - city people. Oooooooo! Cringe! I'm a rural area person & grew up on a farm. Most vegetarians and vegans I know are from suburban or urban backgrounds & know little about what farming is like, where we actually grow things or what it really entails (aside from the trip to the agrotourism farm). Some farmland is quite suitable for grazing animals but wouldn't be able to grow a crop without heavy irrigation and conventional agriculture. Besides, it kinda gets us all out of the web-of-life thing. That's what I really don't like about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123