Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irony glimpsed in a specialty food co-op page 2

Shine is offline Member

Shop Now

Exactly what is the intended demographic for this product? Mention "vegan" or "soy" and most Texans will run. Mention "bbq" and "jerky" and most vegans will run. Is there some random cross-section of cornfed southern vegetarians that I have yet to encounter?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It's just wrong. So wrong.

grandma is offline Member

Shine, I think you are right that most vegans would run, however I think there are a large populations of vegetarians who 1) see veganism as a superior state of being that they are yet to achieve, so they choose vegan products when they can and 2) secretly covet bacon. I bet the market is there. However calling it Primal is just offensive.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

jbmarshtx Guest

If you were in ATX, I saw the same thing. I did a double take thinking it was beef jerky until I saw the 'vegan' note on it. Right by the checkout counter?

Shine is offline Member

[quote]

Shine, I think you are right that most vegans would run, however I think there are a large populations of vegetarians who 1) see veganism as a superior state of being that they are yet to achieve, so they choose vegan products when they can and 2) secretly covet bacon.
    </blockquote>

Ah, that does make sense...vegetarians who get a warm fuzzy feeling from their "ethical" dietary choices would be able to satisfy their instinctive bacon cravings while remaining safely aloft a self-righteous pedastal of principles.

On a side note, I have always wondered about the premise of non-violence and "respect for all life" as a platform of vegetarianism. Are plants not alive in this respect? Why, because they are biologically different? It is just completely illogical to me; if anything, animals are more deserving of being eaten as all animals require the death of another lifeform for sustenance. Only plants (and some bacteria) can survive without requiring the death of another living creature. In that respect, it actually seems crueler to kill and eat autotrophs than it is to kill and eat heterotrophs who require the death of another lifeform for survival. Perhaps PETA could be converted to People for the Ethical Treatment of Autotrophs...but carrots and broccoli certainly aren&#39;t as cuddly as bunny rabbits and baby cows.

Wow. That is one big ironic dichotomy in one label!

Wendy1 Guest

Too funny! Sophi and I saw these while shopping at a natural foods store in the Seattle area. We got all excited, too, until getting close enough to see what they were!

Shine, check out Jainism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

they don&#39;t eat root vegetables because it kills the plant to harvest.

maba is offline Senior Member

[quote]

Perhaps PETA could be converted to People for the Ethical Treatment of Autotrophs</blockquote>

Hahaha, I love that!

@Sir Grandma, some orthodox Jains cover their mouth with a mask all the time, lest they accidentally take in an insect or some other life form from the air!!!

@maba that&#39;s cool. strange but for some reason thinking about Jains made me hungry for French onion soup. I would miss onions if I were a Jain (among other things

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast