Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I ate bugs... page

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm just back from a trip to Korea and Japan and encountered some interesting foodstuffs along the way (Green Tea KitKat, anyone? Or chocolate covered seaweed and kimchi?)

In one of the smaller Korean towns we stopped in, me and a few of my companions went looking for somewhere to eat and fetched up in a small, local restaurant with no English menus or speakers. We pantomimed to the waitress that she should bring us food for six, and ended up with an interesting array of foodstuffs including a plate of what appeared to be bugs.

Well, we all dived in and they weren't bad at all. We took a few back to show to our Korean tour guide and she told us they were silkworms (silkworm pupae, to be precise) and that her grandparents used to eat them as they were too poor to get a lot of meat. She, actually, hadn't tried them herself.

Between us we did manage to polish off a bowl of the things, to the surprise of the restaurant owner (I guess they thought they'd give the "crazy westerners" bowl of bugs for a laugh).

The whole trip was an adventure, so it was cool to try some new food items. I think Grok would have approved.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Sounds like an awesome trip!

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Indiscreet,

That does sound like an awesome trip!

That's pretty crazy too, cause when I went to Korea... I also go the crazy bowl of silk worm thingys.

If I remember right, they didn't have a whole lot of flavor... but that's after I had polished off quite a bit of Soju

-Sean

shastagirl Guest

Haha! Where im from there's some similar "delicacies". In Australia, some tribes of the aboriginal peoples eat "Witchetty grubs" which you can find under large logs and in the soils in most of the north-eastern area under plants. I ate one once for a school thing as we had a very dense aboriginal and Torres-Strait Islander population in my small town and frequently at school we would have days which would involve eating their foods cooked traditionally under ground in banana leaves. They tasted sort of like peanut butter.

Oh and also we have these green ants there which are quite large ants with big green bums on them, that is like a sac that contains all the resin from the leaves of trees, their bums taste like lemon-lime candy :P (just google eating green ant bums!)

Also little tiny honey-suckle red flowers that you pick and suck the back of them. Lots of great bush tucker in Australia, if you go some place quite small like North Queensland area the locals will love to fill you in on all that stuff!

Australia is at the top of my travel list. I am shooting for October of 2010...

shastagirl Guest

definitely hit up north eastern australia! townsville is where im from. gorgeous coastal town, lots of beautiful things to go see and do there. very outdoorsy, but also very hot and humid. you should be ok with october there, i wouldnt go in dec/jan: think 90-100F with 99% humidity!

I do like hot weather but I don't like humidity so I'll stay away from the Dec/Jan time frame! Thanks for the tips! I'll have to pick your brain when the time gets a little closer.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm so jealous! Both of the travel and of the bug-eating!

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Heh Sean, I think my silkworms had soy sauce or some other umame tasting sauce on them, as they were pretty good.

Chunster495 is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

haha... nostalgia from my days growing up in korea... i haven't had them since i was a little kid... your trip sounds like a lot of fun... how the heck did you manage to stay away from all the grains in that crazy grain infested country? I'm scared to go back as I know there's no way I'd be able to resist eating like a mad man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast