Thread: calorie article @ carnivore health page

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The latest post at the carnivore health weblog discusses macronutrient effects on insulin and how insulin is not the only (or even main) fat gain culprit. Very interesting article.

http://www.carnivorehealth.com/main/...a-calorie.html

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Interesting..

"Correct me if I'm wrong, or over simplifying, but doesn't the body create testosterone from cholesterol? And doesn't the body create cholesterol from saturated fat in the diet? Just wondering aloud. I may need to dig up the Farmington Mass. study results. I believe they showed that the more saturated fat and cholesterol consumed the leaner the test subjects became. This has ALWAYS been the case with me. The higher the saturation of fat and the more of it in my diet the leaner and stronger (and the more desiring of sexual pleasure with my wife) I became." That may explain why many individuals here complain of a "plateu" when they consume too many nuts, and a steadier weight loss when they're consuming coconut oil or animal fat...

However, I'm confused here, the author states: "There is no reason to worry about the amount of meat you feel like eating. Only if you want to go below 10% bodyfat like for a bodybuilding contest do you need to restrict the calories you eat." Yet, a little further through the article he states: "Protein metabolism requires some insulin response and any excess protein will be mostly converted to glucose, which requires a considerable amount of insulin to be used." And, as we all know, insulin>fat storage. What's up with that?..

klcarbaugh Guest

I read this a week ago or so...

The article is a bunch of different opinions from different people on one page. Basically, the guy that runs the website gorged himself eating zero carb gained a bit of fat weight over the course of a year and now he is wondering if that was becasue of too much protein (which can be converted into carbohydrates and then needs insulin to store) or fats (which can be stored via ASP, without insulin). So he had people chime in. I think he then leaves it up to the reader to look at the different opinions and decide what they think is right. (The guy lost the weight really quickly after he just ate to satiety and is now at 10% BF)

maba is offline Senior Member

Jess, I read in "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" that MUFAs can hinder weight loss, which explains why nuts can be bad if you're trying to lose weight. So EVOO is not a good choice fat for weight-loss either.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Jess, I interpret it as

1) getting fat off of a carnivore diet is hard, but not impossible

2) carbs or not, the body can and will store excess calories no matter what the macronutrient source

Also, the risks of gaining fat purely off of protein and fat are low enough to not have to worry about it, hence the only reason anyone would need calorie restriction in addition to carb restriction is if they are trying to get to a low and specific body fat %age.

Anyways I thought this was really interesting because it claims that overall calories ARE important in weight management, not just carbs. Plus I have always wondered how it's possible that only insulin controls body fat, what if you eat 10,000 calories worth of fat a day and your body will keep losing weight anyways?? That seems inefficient and not evolutionarily correct. I don't know how accurate this article is but it would explain a lot and I'm inclined to believe it is at least partially true esp. with the hormones= fat regulation theory.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Maba, why does the MUFA's restrict weight loss? On a paleo diet, Conraid suggests MORE of this fatty acid and less of the saturated kind. Personally, I try to get a balance...

Halloweenbinge, I think overall calorie intake is important too, but I doubt it really matters unless the individual is binging or stuffing themselves silly at mealtime. Does a carnivore diet include no vegetables and no nuts/oil?