Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Not Feeling Full" Syndrome page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

"Not Feeling Full" Syndrome

My dad's lived his whole life eating bread and other starchy foods, and he acts like he HAS to have it at least once a day. I just watched him this morning look through the entire fridge and refrigerator and not find a single thing that he could eat ( there were plenty of fruits and veggies, nuts etc). He then proceeded to the cupboard and had some crackers

He complains that he doesn't feel full after a "primal meal". I just think that he just needs his daily dose of junk food to satisfy his needs.

Are there any ways to provide foods that will actually make him feel full quick that are also primal/semi primal? This is also for myself, as I find myself snacking on nuts/fruits throughout the day to keep myself satiated. I doubt that he's going to go for any of the "eat fat" kind of thing, fyi.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Snacking on nuts and fruits all day isn't a whole lot better than eating crackers. Maybe dad should have some potatoes fried in healthy fat (butter, bacon grease, etc.) for breakfast. With some bacon and eggs.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    I remember that. When I was hungry (ie once or twice every afternoon), fruit, nuts, cheese or raw vegetables weren't 'food' at all - I could eat them and still feel just as hollow. It had to be biscuits or muesli - something with grains. If I tried eating cheese instead, I'd just be back in the kitchen 5 minutes later getting the muesli. (Whole grain, of course - ever so healthy.)

Then I went Primal. If I got hungry between meals, I ate vegetables and nuts, or tinned fish, or made almond pancakes with Greek yoghourt and fruit, and that all turned out to be food after all. Nowadays, I almost never get hungry between meals.

However... I really doubt this transformation would've happened without the complete dietary change. Changing meals and letting snacks sort themselves out over time seems more likely to work than searching for filling snacks.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like it could just be a bad habit type thing, rather than actually not feeling full. To break old habits, you need to form new ones. Try getting him in the habit of going for a walk after eating or anything that gets him out of the kitchen and his mind off the food.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Minky is offline Member
    2 things that make a meal feel like *real* food to me. a cut up avocado with my meat and a glass of milk. it takes awhile. I never search the house anymore for grainy things and don't miss them, but it took awhile.

I'm trying to lose weight, so I can't have too much dairy and nuts, but if I really *need* something that feels *foody* , then I make a bowl of frozen berries, mixed with cream or yogurt, with dried cocnut and chopped nuts. I dice up a half frozen banana if I want it sweet. It *feels* like a bowl of cereal and has crunch and sweet.

Minky is offline Member
    also, when I'm having that "nothing is hitting the spot" kind of feeling, I know I'm not really hungry, but eating for a different reason. When I'm truly hungry (i've done some IF) then a plate of meat and veggies looks wonderful and is very satisfying.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I think the key is going to be in him *wanting* to change. Does he?

If so, maybe keep (primal) tuna salad, cold chicken, HB eggs, etc in the fridge. He can eat all of those he wants. But no grain/sugar snacks.

He can do it if he really wants to.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Whole 9 Life has a great blog post about "Dessert Demons" that talks a little bit about the mental side to feeling "full." It could be that, since he's so addicted to grains/sugar/junk, that he feels the need to have that, or else his body doesn't feel satisfied, and he's interpreting that as not being full. Just to make sure, he might try calculating his theoretical calorie needs based on weight, height, and activity level and then log his food for a week or so. It might be that when he makes "primal meals," he's not getting enough calories. Plenty of people think "Paleo= meat + veggies" and forget about fat. If I really ate only meat and veggies, there's no way I'd get enough calories without making myself feel sick from gorging; I need to consciously add fat to my meals, in the form of butter or animal fat (I'm almost to the bottom of my jar of duck fat ) or coconut or, sometimes, olive oil, nuts, or avocado. I use calorie-counting software to track and plan my meals to make sure I'm getting enough calories, not to try to cut calories.

One thing that might help the OP's dad is to ask him, when he does his rummaging, "Do you NEED food or do you WANT food right now?" and then remind him that if he NEEDS food, then he should be willing to eat anything, whereas if he looks at stuff and decides that's not what he wants, then he must not really NEED the food. If he decides that, yes, he's truly hungry, then he can eat a carrot or a boiled egg or a knob of butter or something.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Snacking on nuts and fruits all day isn't a whole lot better than eating crackers.
    Really? Crackers: no redeeming value at all. Nuts/fruits: boatloads of stuff our bodies actually need.

I agree that if the goal is kicking cravings or losing weight, cutting both out is useful, but eating nuts and fruits is WAY better overall than snacking on crackers. Seems a shame to demonize real food.

In terms of snacky things that got me through the early craving stage: Batty's Blue Butter Balls.....http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hread.php?8256
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really doubted those who said IF has helped with this, as it's natural to stuff yourself when you feel you should be hungry. Even eating at the 'end' of a fast can be a somewhat arbitrary time.

The difference is, you stay full this way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast