Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for someone who's not losing.. page

mslizzy is offline Junior Member

Hey, all -

I've been eating primal for over a month. No problems with the diet portion, and I work out regularly, but I am not dropping pounds (historically a problem for me when at a set point).

Usually I will eat two eggs, veggies and a bit of cheese or avo for breakfast, and a few berries with coffee.

Primal type salad lunch.

Meat with veggies and salad for dinner.

Snacks usually are nuts, veggies with eggplant hummus, or greek yogurt, maybe a bit of dark chocolate for dessert.

The snacking has been minimal, I am watching the quantity of nuts, and going on the low end for fruit.

Possible culprits in my mind are either too many calories? or not enough fat? I figured someone else out there had to kick start there system, too. I was already minimizing my carbs before this, so it is a change, but not too drastic. Fat ratio is definitely different than before.

FYI, I am a 41 year old female with a fairly active job and 24% body fat. Nine years ago I lost 30 pounds on weight watchers, and now that is only 25 pounds. Wisdom, anyone?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Drop the nuts, the cheese, the berries, and the chocolate. The culprit is too many carbs, I'm betting - and those all have carbs; not a lot, but they do add up. I had to kick-start my weight loss by cutting carbs back to practically zero - I think I was averaging about 19-22g of carbs per day - for about three weeks. I still try to stay below 40g per day.

I'd also say add fat. Have coconut oil straight from the jar. Have butter on your eggs. Eat bacon with breakfast. Have well-marbled steak with your salad lunch (my favorite is ribeye). The ideal ratios should be about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs (with a maximum of 40g per day for carbs).

Best of luck!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

JamieBelle is offline Member

I started tracking with Fit Day (fitday.com), and it really is eye-opening. It's a little tedious at first, but once you get started it's a breeze to update it daily. Especially if you eat a lot of the same things every day, which it sounds like you do.

Fit Day also forces you to measure everything so you're aware of what "a few" berries and "a bit" of dark chocolate really is. You'd be surprise where carbs hide.

It does sound like you're still getting in a lot of carbs with all the vegetables, fruits, salads, and yogurt.

pandapuffs Guest

I second the FitDay rec. I started tracking last week and it really is an eye-opener. I have a GREAT idea of how many calories are in things, but I never paid attention to carbs before--and never tried to UP my fat intake! It's really essential if you're letting go of CW and taking up a completely different way of looking at food. Seeing all the little carbs add up throughout my supposedly "good" day yesterday was enlightening. Greek yogurt + veggies + raspberries + nuts = 70+ carb day.

Upping the fat as Griff suggests will also keep the need for snacks, even good ones like yogurt and nuts, really low. I rarely get hungry between breakfast and lunch now (totally new for me) and only have an afternoon snack because I eat dinner kinda late.

I haven't tried it, but others have mentioned intermittent fasting to break through plateaus--might be something to incorporate here and there.

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

I have the same exact problem is you. I started in August and have gained about 5lbs. The start of last week I went under 50g carbs and cut out nuts and fruit. I went away over the weekend and completely fell of track but back on this week.

I track my calories and macros as well and suggest you do too. Weight loss can still be a matter of calories in/calories out if you are eating over your daily burn.

maba is offline Senior Member

Mandy Girl, same here, I've put on 5 lbs since I started the challenge. But my clothes that fit me when I was the same weight pre-primal are now loose, so not all of it must be BF, but still, it would be nice to see accelerated weight-loss.

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

Oh I wish I was in the same boat. I have had to go up 2 pant sizes. It sounds like you really are loosing fat/gaining muscle. Me, not so much.

maba is offline Senior Member

Funny thing is, I haven't been doing much weights either so I don't want to assume it's all muscle mass and be complacent. You said you fell off track this weekend, is it possible that the weight is a result of water retention because of the carbs?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

We should start a club "Chicks that gained 5lb since going Primal". I'm still experimenting with what I eat on a daily basis. I try going without fruits and vegies for a while, then I add one back to see what happens, then I go extremely high on fat, etc.

Whatever. I know I can't see it, but my insides are very grateful to me.

mslizzy is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks all for chiming in. Maba and Mandy, you both, like me, seem to be in it for the long haul. Lifestyle, not a diet. My clothes do feel a bit better, and I wear my weight well (at 6ft tall), but I will journal again. I did it for the first week or two, and was on track, both with calories and macros, so I wasn't too concerned after that. But results dictate the need for vigilance, perhaps. So journaling for me, more fat, and maybe a 25% reduction in carbs. We'll see how it goes...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast