Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the primal perspective on post-workout nutrition? page

Christina* is offline Senior Member

What is the primal perspective on post-workout nutrition?

Hey all,

Just curious what the primal/paleo perspective on PWO nutrition is. Do you guys use protein shakes? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that whey is out, but don't recall reading any official advice on PWO nutrition (or I just wasn't paying attention at the time...lol).

Thanks in advance!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Whey is fine. Only if you are an endurance athlete or will be working out more than an hour--not necessary, otherwise, as you won't have depleted your glycogen stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Whey is fine. Only if you are an endurance athlete or will be working out more than an hour--not necessary, otherwise, as you won't have depleted your glycogen stores.
    I'm not an endurance athlete, and was only thinking of it for post-lifting. So not necessary then? I do keep my carbs on the lower side (usually under 40g/day) so I don't know if that results in quicker depletion of glycogen?

If you are wanting to lose body fat, then don't. If not, go ahead! It may take a bit of time to adjust to lifting in ketosis, so be patient (I'm female, lifting on 20-25 gm net carbs, so similar situation...)

If you are wanting to lose body fat, then don't. If not, go ahead! It may take a bit of time to adjust to lifting in ketosis, so be patient (I'm female, lifting on 20-25 gm net carbs, so similar situation...)
    YES, losing body fat is my main goal! I've been eating this way on and off for months now and actually started as a low carber, so I don't have any adjustment to being in ketosis (I'm not sure if I'm even in ketosis as it's no longer a priority for me but I'd imagine I am sometimes). But since the aim is fat loss....I'll steer clear of the whey

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've found nothing wrong with using whey in the past. It makes for a nice fast breakfast when I'm short on time, and can easily be doctored up with a few extra eggs and coconut milk. I actually lost fat decently while using it and have toyed with the idea of going back to it. I have a great brand though that's organic and sweetened with stevia, so it's very low carb- maybe 3g if I remember right.

I would say it depends on the brand you get. You want something clean, obviously, and without sugars. For now though I'm sticking with eggs and coconut products to make nice hearty breakfasts. Come summer when it gets hot though, I might opt for a nice COLD shake as post-workout breakfast.

JBGrokerty is offline Member
    I don't know what I'm doing -- not a professional at all. However, I always thought PWO nutrition was about replacing protein, so that the muscles that have been used and torn up have nutrients with which to re-build. I never figured it was about replacing glycogen, since eating is now taking place after-the-fact. The energy/glycogen (whatever its source was) has already been used, during your work-out. Right?

So what is being said in this thread is not making sense to me. Can someone help enlighten further (links/references are fine, you don't have to re-write unless you just want to).

May I ask why you suggest not using whey post-lifting if fat loss is the goal?

Because fasting after a workout promotes Human Growth Hormone. Read this and this.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're eating primally, you won't need it, I think. I just enjoyed 1/2 a 3.6 lb pot roast (thank you, PB Cookbook!), and probably won't eat until after weights tomorrow, if not dinner. Just won't need it, but maybe I am VERY wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast