Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **Questions for CARNIVORES! page

isaboblue is offline Senior Member

**Questions for CARNIVORES!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys this is alex, Ive been doing the primal blueprint lifestyle with my wife katie for a while now and had a few questions about going MEAT ONLY (she mentioned there were some people here that just ate meat and good old fat)

1) I was wondering if you have a lot of energy compared to when you eat a few carbs... It seems the lower on the carbs I go the less MENTAL energy i have, the physical strength is still ok it seems though. So is this brain drain feeling somthing i have to get used to or what? this is the thing that bothers me most, is there a transition period? need answers badly...

2) I know the inuit typically ate 3 meals a day of boiled fish from a community pot but how much do you guys eat, when do you eat it and why? I need to know how much in general on the calorie scale it is your eating so I dont feel like im underfeeding myself and dying haha.

3) How is your muscle mass? when you went meat only did you notice a slight decrease or increase in muscle mass? do you still gain a fair amount of muscle with working out?

If you guys could just dump experience based knowledge on me that would be great, thanks in advance.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Ehh, I don't know about training for warrior dash on a zero carb diet. I'm not fully versed on how the body makes glycogen in the complete absence of carbs, but I think it needs them at some point.

Bump!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    simple answer...dont zero carb

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    PB is NOT low-carb (please keep repeating that to yourself). You should be eating vegetables like there's no tomorrow - my BAS at lunch every day has almost 30 grams of carbs, most of which is fiber from spinach, peppers, cucumber, etc with a bit of sugar from tomatoes.

RE: the Warrior Dash - I'm also running that, but not planning on 'training' per say. It's more of a finish thing, don't you think?

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I've spent a lot of time at zero-carb for reasons of my own.
    I'd be glad to discuss it further but first what are YOUR reasons?
    I don't think there are any 'good' reasons or needs to drop veggies(I just don't like 'em and am too lazy to force myself)

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    PEOPLE DONT ZERO CARB CORRECTLY OR HEALTHY, in my opinion and experience with it and reading journals of those on it

isaboblue is offline Senior Member

I understand

I dont intend to permanently go zero carb in the long run (I have read the primal blueprint cover to cover twice) but i wanted to see what it was like to try meat only for a short period (maybe a month or two) so that I have the experience, it fascinates me. there are far too many amazing things in organic fruits and vegetables to pass up and that can extend your life considerably, I agree with you all (read charlotte gersons material if youd like to know how to cure certain cancers and give your immune system a massive jolt). I think that combining the primal blueprint and the gerson therapy is the healthiest thing on the planet. Back to meat only however, does anyone have any answers to the specific questions I mentioned before (bcbcbc2) ??? specifically about amounts of food, mental feeling, things like this... thanks
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by isaboblue View Post

1) energy compared to when you eat a few carbs
    I don't see any mental let-down when I go down to zero carbs. To the contrary, I feel much better and have more energy. The biggest drawback for me is trying to sleep in ketosis. I'm not all that sure of the exact cause but it takes me awhile to get to sleep and stay asleep.

2) how much do you guys eat, when do you eat it and why?
    I eat when hungry.....
    I never thought much about calories or amounts (I did use Fitday for a week or two) but I try to eat only to satiety. I know my calorie content lessenes the longer I am at zero. All that fat keeps hunger at bay. I am 'unintentionally' doing intermittent fasting because I'm just not hungry.

3) How is your muscle mass? I do lift a little but at my age it's more of a last ditch effort to stave off the atrophy rather than to increase in mass.

If you guys could just dump experience based knowledge on me that would be great, thanks in advance.
    I haven't gone zero carb for any extended period of time. My longest stint was probably a bit more than 3 months. I do a month or two of very low carb and then back to zero for a time. As far as any great experience, I just don't care much for vegetation and don't see a need for them in my diet. YMMV

The ZioH site is dedicated to this approach, as is Dirty Carnivore. There is a lot of information at either/both to help you out.

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/
    http://forum.dirtycarnivore.com/
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    PB is NOT low-carb (please keep repeating that to yourself). You should be eating vegetables like there's no tomorrow - my BAS at lunch every day has almost 30 grams of carbs, most of which is fiber from spinach, peppers, cucumber, etc with a bit of sugar from tomatoes.

RE: the Warrior Dash - I'm also running that, but not planning on 'training' per say. It's more of a finish thing, don't you think?
    Amen. Eat as many true veggies as you possibly can. I also enjoy a BAS at lunch every single day which contains around 30 carbs or more (I sometimes throw in an apple).

TRUE veggies have lots of fiber and not much sugar at all... usually about half of the carb content is fiber - greens, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    OK, I agree that just to see what it's like and more specifically to prove that the people who claim humans can't live on zero carb are totally wrong is a rational reason to try ZC for a few days or weeks.

The brain fog thing is a matter of adjusting to ketosis in my experience. ZC is no different than LC at keto levels - somewhere around 20-30g/d for most people.There seem to be people who adapt easily(me) and people who don't. I have a theory that messing around in the gray zone of 30-75g a day may be a way to keep feeling miserable much of the time. I recommend slashing carb to < 30 (or zero) and if you feel poorly after 3-5 days give it up as not for you and keep carbs up to 100g/day or so.

I think ZC calls for 2 or 3 meals a day at least for weight loss. It's just too hard to hold calories low enough at each meal eating fatty foods to be able to eat 5-6 times a day as some BBers and others recommend. I think the exception is if you're obese and or diabetic and it's your first real try at ZC/VLC. Many people in that category seem to lose weight eating all they want. My first time on VLC (Atkins induction) I lost 45 pounds often stuffing myself and never depriving myself. Now to lose weight at a decent rate I have to eat about half of what I'd like to.

An elite athlete doing long hard workouts(ie an hour plus of intense aerobics or fairly continuous lifting) will run out of carb supplies on ZC. Less fit people and/or people who stick to Mark's exercise guidelines won't have much problem. Long brisk walks or <20 min intense sessions work fine for me. I have gotten dizzy from long, hard exercise a couple times.

I have gone from flaccid to reasonably fit muscles while doing VLC or ZC; unfortunately more than once!! I've never stuck at lifting long enough to go above average in that respect on any diet. I'm 50 and I'm still trying to set a fitness routine and stick to it.

I definitely would not try to do significant exercise until/unless you keto-adapt past the brain fog stage.

The only real difference between LC with veggies and ZC I can think of is in elimination. On ZC you're eating all low residue food and you wont need to BM often. Maybe as little as every 2-3 days. I think this is a natural reaction to the efficiency of the food you're eating and not a problem at all. The only time I've created a problem for myself is eating large amounts of cheese(which wouldn't happen an truly Primal ZC) which does 'bind' me. I also once stupidly broke my ZC period with a large amount of fiber the first day which caused the opposite problem to a very memorable degree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast