Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting In Place and other Indoor HIIT ideas page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Sprinting In Place and other Indoor HIIT ideas

I LOVE sprinting. Tabata sprints are a favorite of mine and I can't wait to try the WOW that mark posted last week titled Sprint, Walk, Sprint, Repeat where you sprint for 6 seconds, walk, sprint for 6 seconds, walk... for a total of 15 minutes or however long you want to do it for.

But, I live in Michigan where its waaaaaaaaaaaay too cold to sprint outside, especially in the early morning and evening when its completely pitch black.

So, what do you think about sprinting in place?

Do you have any other ideas for doing HIIT indoors?

Added for clarification:

I do NOT want anything that involves resistance training since I already follow the PB Fitness protocol for that 2-3 days a week. I simply want something that gets my heart rate up. Something that I can do for a short period of time.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Primal Toad; 01-16-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    I found a long hallway at work that goes uninterrupted from one side of the building to the other - I also do security when the building is empty - might be a bit weird sprinting when people are trying to get stuff done. Still - keep an eye out and you may be surprised at what you find - A shorter hall where you can touch a wall and turn back is a nice change (as long as you don't twist your ankle turning)

as for HIIT in place - burpees suck - I mean are very effective.
    Last edited by Rud3d0g; 01-16-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: grammer
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

frances is offline Senior Member
    Jumping squats also "are very effective". Somewhere on the crossfit site, there's a HUGE list of bodyweight CF--a bunch of those could prob be turned into HIIT that dont require space. I have "fond memories" of doing 10 sets of 20 squats for time....

tanyahk is offline Senior Member
    Before primal I did alot of cardio and purchased the TurboFire set from Beachbody.com. In it has 3 or 4 HIIT workouts with various activities to music (maybe more of a girl thing but guys do it too!) and I have changed my workout to do 2 HIITs per week, 2 weight workouts (from Power90) and one day of cardio, usually 30 minutes of the TurboFire. I live in Boston so no option to go for a long walk to the current moment, so I know what you mean on working out indoors until about March!

The HIIT workouts have alot of lunges, jumps up and down and side to side, squats, fast punches and kicks, etc.... nice way to get it in without having to think of what exactly to do since it is laid out for you already. And with the 3 DVD's I can switch it up (both routine wise and time wise!).

Good luck!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Body weight circuits are great; basically what's been mentioned above: pick some body weight exercises, do reps for time, rest for time, repeat.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I guess I already kind of do HIIT 2-3 days a week. I engage in the 5 essential primal movements 2-3 days a week and go intensely for 15-20 minutes. I sometimes do a WOW in replace of this.

However, this has been the only exercising I have engaged in for the past 2 months or so. It is freezing here in Michigan and thus working outdoors is not an option. It kind of is, but I strongly dislike the cold and wish to avoid beint outside.

I love sprinting so what do you think of sprinting in place? I basically need more workout ideas for indoors that are NOT resistance training workouts since I already do this! Push-ups, pull-ups, squats, plank, etc.

Maybe I should just be using my parents nordic track...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Vick is offline Senior Member
    I'm in Ontario. I'm sprinting on the spot in the house a minimum twice a week. I sprint as hard as I can till I need to rest. The I go again. It is getting the heart rate up to max quite nicely. Right now I'm stopping at 10 minutes.

Like you I'm doing this until I can safely sprint outdoors. I also do resistance training once a week. If I'm not in good shape come spring I'll know to look for something else, but I'm confident it is giving me the positive adaptation I'm looking for.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    What does a sprint in place LOOK like? I can't imagine..

also, I live in an upstairs, apartment, so...

I'm interested in the answers in this thread, too, though. I thought about getting a stationary upright-trainer for my bike because I have the same trouble.

Little Saiyan

Kyle C. is offline Member
    The only thing wrong with sprinting in place is that you're just lifting your legs up and down very fast. When moving, you involve your hams and glutes a whole lot more. In place, it'll be mostly hip flexors. So it's better than nothing, but the real deal is way better.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    sprinting in place? is that like arm pumping to the max?? hahahahah guido style HITT

anyways, you can do hitt on a stationary bike or rower if you have them!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast