Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunchokes page

Rickahmed is offline Junior Member

Sunchokes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have looked everywhere buy cant seem to find an answer as to whether sunchokes are paleo or not!!!!! Can anyone help shed some light??

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    While sunchokes are not a nightshade, they are a starchy tuber, and therefore it would be prudent to limit consumption of them. They are definitely healthier than white potatoes though. Also, the inulin produced by the sunchoke breaks down into fructose.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    yes. you can also search for "jerusalem artichokes." not only are they paleo, but if you're in the midwestern US, they are also indigenous.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Delicious things! They make the most wonderful soups...

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    They are delicious. I made them for the first time last week. But they gave me terrible gas. I can only guess of the starch content.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    While sunchokes are not a nightshade, they are a starchy tuber, and therefore it would be prudent to limit consumption of them. They are definitely healthier than white potatoes though. Also, the inulin produced by the sunchoke breaks down into fructose.
    Inulin breaking down into fructose? That's news to me ... as far as I know inulin is soluble fiber, indigestible for humans.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    Inulin breaking down into fructose? That's news to me ... as far as I know inulin is soluble fiber, indigestible for humans.
    You are correct, which is why skline2 up above you there had the farts. It was a blast of fiber, not fructose, that did it.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Also why I won't be eating them again even though they tasted really good. They didn't bother my wife at all.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skline2 View Post
    Also why I won't be eating them again even though they tasted really good. They didn't bother my wife at all.
    If you eat them often, you get the gut bacteria that cope with them and the side effects go away - it takes me about 3 meals each autumn to get back to managing them without becoming antisocial! But the benefits of them are great....

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Jerusalem artichoke is a fine and delicious food. You need to be careful though because there is an imitator, water hemlock, that is toxic----just one mouthful could be fatal. The two plants are easy to tell apart when they still have foliage, but the 'chokes are usually collected in late fall when there are no leaves. Unless you tagged your plant earlier in the season be careful because the naked plants are just about perfect look-alikes. If you are unsure, just avoid culling plants near water. They could be water hemlock.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast