Thread: cutting out dairy, but don't want to lose butter page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

cutting out dairy, but don't want to lose butter

Primal Fuel
    i'm going to try and get off dairy and nuts for a month--i can indulge in both a little too much sometimes. everything else i eat is pretty much dead-on primal (generally can't afford grass fed, pastured, etc.). so, i guess this is sort of a whole30 type thing since i'll pretty much only be eating meats, eggs, veggies, oils and spices.
    here's the thing, i've been sauteing veggies up in butter. it can handle the high heat, tastes great, and--best of all--i can buy it cheap. i use bacon fat whenever i can too, but butter has become somewhat of a staple.
    do those of you who are dairy free stay away from the butter too, or can that be more of a concession?

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your reasons for dropping dairy. Do you think it might be provoking an immune response and want to do an elimination? Or are you just trying to drop weight and think that eliminating dairy will help? If it's the former, you should drop the butter for a month, as it does still have traces of milk solids that can be enough to inflame the immune system. If it's the latter, butter is unlikely to be a problem, since it is primarily just good quality animal fat.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    You might also consider using ghee. It's a bit more expensive, but doesn't have the milk proteins in it.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    It depends on your reasons for dropping dairy. Do you think it might be provoking an immune response and want to do an elimination? Or are you just trying to drop weight and think that eliminating dairy will help? If it's the former, you should drop the butter for a month, as it does still have traces of milk solids that can be enough to inflame the immune system. If it's the latter, butter is unlikely to be a problem, since it is primarily just good quality animal fat.
    +1

I dropped all dairy, including butter, for my Whole 30 in November. It was a little tough to cook around at first, but I found ways to make everything work (you can saute those veggies in coconut oil). Now, I still minimize dairy, using it only when it *really* makes a difference to the dish, not just when it's yummy or convenient. Going without for a while taught me the difference.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I dropped dairy beginning of November. It's the first aspect of this way of life that is seriously hard work for me...I crave butter like crazy, and I also miss my cappuccinos, particularly on a rainy Seattle day like today.

I reintroduced butter 2-3 weeks ago. My skin flared incredibly....but it seems to have settled down again without me taking butter back out, so who knows if it was really butter or a delayed reaction to the holidays or what. I'm going to stick with butter for another couple of weeks, then cut it out again for a month and see if there's any pattern there. I will be thrilled if I can at least have butter.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i don't really consume much other dairy (perhaps a tablespoon or two of yogurt per week), and just use butter. i don't relaly have any reason to avoid it.

in the alternative, i use bacon fat, and you can often find lard pretty inexpensively at butcher shops. we just found a source for rendered duck fat that is a good price.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the tips, everyone. i've been planning to cut out the butter with everything else, so i'll just do that and find ghee or coconut oil or something else to make my veggies sizzle.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    I just mentioned in my journal that I"m going to cut out dairy for a while.. but keep butter. I don't think it affects me like other dairy products do. We'll see.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Ghee, coconut butter, coconut oil all come to mind straight off the bat.