Thread: Confused about beans/legumes etc. page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Confused about beans/legumes etc.

On the main page, Mark says that beans/legumes aren't very good because of the anti nutrients in them. However, in another article he says that if you soak it, it's okay.

So, are beans/legumes okay to eat as long as you soak them?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    On the main page, Mark says that beans/legumes aren't very good because of the anti nutrients in them. However, in another article he says that if you soak it, it's okay.

So, are beans/legumes okay to eat as long as you soak them?
    I don't think Mark says beans and legumes are okay if you soak them. (That would be the Weston A. Price Foundation.) I think Mark says they are less harmful if soaked. Less harmful is still not optimum.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I think you should be able to tell by how your body responds. I've eaten beans that were just boiled for 30 minutes and had my stomach growl and churn the entire night. I've also eaten other beans that were cooked for much longer and I didn't notice discomfort. Most legumes need to be soaked for several hours and cooked for hours aswell, I personally would never think it was worth it (most legumes taste bad aswell). If you are eating properly prepared legumes once every 2 weeks/every month I don't think it will impact you negatively, but if you feel discomfort then obviously don't do it. There is no reason to make it a staple in your diet though.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Even soaked beans irritate my husband's IBS. He's had a lot fewer flare-ups since I've started transitioning myself to a more primal diet, probably because we eat the same dinners and I'm basing more of our dinners around veggies, roots, and meat/eggs, rather than grains and beans.

That said, you can reduce the bad stuff in beans by soaking them in warm water for a long period of time. It's a real hassle, though, because you have to make sure they stay warm. On the rare occasions I eat beans, I buy Eden brand canned beans because they claim to do the warm, long soaking before cooking and canning their beans. Also their cans don't have BPA in the lining.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Beans are never optimal, but if you decide to enjoy them from time to time, definitely soak them. I don't include them in my day to day diet, but I've a friend who makes this absolutely delicious three-bean chili thing, & when I get to eat it, I enjoy every bite. Hummus at a party, or your mom's famous baked beans... these are the things you should enjoy as part of your 20%.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com