Thread: "Proof" about too much cardio, workout page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

Just in the mailbox: http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2009/09/22/get-bigger-muscles-walking/

I'm starting a new thread because of all the recent comments in assorted threads about excessive exercise or suggesting to do more to lose weight. Well, here's an expert source and right on time.

MandyGirl77 is offline Junior Member

I just got this too! Great read.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Yesterday I went for a walk with one of my co-workers and we started talking about how each one of us eats. She is following a low-calorie, low-fat, very high-carb diet and is working out about 3 hrs a day. I was hesitant about bringing up PB with her because she's my friend and I was afraid to offend her, but surprisingly she was very open to the information. Turns out she is extremely frustrated with the fact that she's eating that little and works out that hard and is still stock in a plateau mode and can't do anything about it. I sent her couple of links to MDA and a few other sources and she was very interested in researching all of this on her own. Yippie!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Awesome chip! I've been walking for about 45 minutes per day (in fact it's about time for my mid-day walk now!), and cutting down the intense exercise as well. I just tried rock climbing again on Monday, and am more sore today than yesterday! So the whole "work out again to relieve muscle soreness" CW really is BS huh? I never did feel good after working out for days in a row (sometimes 6-7 with no break, man that was a terrible schedule to keep!). I think I'll start rock climbing once/week, then 1-2 lifting days along with my walks, and see where things go. Thanks for the link OTB!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I hear you there. I did P90X for 2 months and couldn't even finish not because it was hard-core, but because I was burn out. They tell you to do 1 session a day, and if you want even better weight-loss, to do 2 1-hour sessions a day. After about a month I wasn't feeling so good anymore. I did see some results but I don't think it was worth it at all.

Geoff is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

OtB - Great article. Thanks for posting. Another good reminder to make the hard days HARD (without overdoing it) and the easy days EASY.

Just wish they hadn't used that tired old picture comparing the scrawny marathoner and the muscular sprinter (who, regretably, resembles the pre-2003 Dwain Chambers). I don't think that comparison is germane to the point the author advanced.

Still, that criticism falls in the "nitpicking" category. Thanks for giving me a good read.

EDIT - added "(without overdoing it)"