Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk about them Amino Acids, ey? page

futhark is offline Member

Red face Talk about them Amino Acids, ey?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

I was wondering about a little thing here..

We all need amino acids, right(I guess)? So when I went to the norwegian/swedish border to fill my stock of vitamins, food etc, I noticed some brands in the local health shop of amino acids.
    Now, since my options are very limited I was questioning myself as to what type of brands are the best?

It's only between two very different brands, it should be a no-brainer for you amino-experts out there; I certainly have no clue

So what would you choose between these two?

KAL - Amino Acids complex 1000
    http://www.nutraceutical.com/search/..._index=1287052
    or
    Solgar Amino 75
    http://www.solgar.co.uk/product/amin...ules-E102.html

P.S: If there are some suggestions for other brands that are better, feel free to lay out your recommendations here.

P.S.S: In KAL, there is an ingredient called hydrolyzed casein, and I am trying to stay away from regular milk, feel free to enlighten me on this subject.

Thanks!
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...imal-Journal-_

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need amino acid supplementation? Why not just get them from food?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i second lizch if you eat a good primal diet(ORGANSSSSS) then you should have no problem in the amino acid department

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    if you eat enough animal protein, period, you will get sufficient amino acids. that is, after all, what protein is composed of.

Hey lizch, MalPaz & Saoirse!

Well, I don't know what kind of food I'm supposed to eat to get all the amino acids at once, I'm kinda new at this.
    I'm like 80-ish Primal, so organs aren't on my food list, but feel free to help me gather some informations as to where I can get a hold of the ones containing as many of them as I can get.

As to animal protein, I'm eating on a daily basis egg, bacon and beef meat, chicken and fish.

The reason why I was thinking of buying amino acids in a jar is because when I start to work out way more often than I do now, I've read that it's good to "fill up" the body after workout with the essential, at least, amino acids, so that's why I was curious about it..
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Meat, eggs, or dairy each contain all of the essential amino acids. You're right that it's a good idea to eat some protein after a workout, especially if you're trying to build muscle... I don't know for sure that it's important to get all the essential amino acids at that time, but just in case, eat an animal protein source and you'll have it covered. =]

There are also some plant products that contain all of them (like soy and quinoa) but I'm not sure any of those are primal.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by futhark View Post
    As to animal protein, I'm eating on a daily basis egg, bacon and beef meat, chicken and fish.
    You've got your aminos covered. Your sources for them are presumably better than ours as well, so be easy on that. Also, the workout BCAA you speak of may or may not actually improve performance.

you know what does? repetition and practice, so put in the time and you will reap the rewards, no powder will do it for you. I recently read a round table discussion on BCAA that included a Martin Berkham (www.leangains.com) who typically recommends BCAA for fasted workouts. He said (i'm paraphrasing from memory) "BCAAs are not at all necessary for people that eat meat somewhat frequently, even for active athletes" but on his site he clears that he still recommends it for early morning fasted training.

I used to think BCAA was directly responsible for my lack of muscle soreness after heavy workouts, then Al Kavadlo pointed out that I may just be getting more conditioned, and thus less prone to serious soreness, now that I'm done with BCAA for a few weeks I have to say he was right. Certain muscle groups (my back, most noticeably) don't get too sore even after heavy weighted workouts, but then again, not a single day passes when I don't do at least 10 pull ups, upwards of 100s if I spread them out through the day, so my back is fairly used to the workload.

On the inverse, I took a short sprint two days ago, not structured, but just decided to haul ass to my car, and now my shin "muscles" (I know that's not accurate but I have no idea what the muscle on the front of your leg is called, the one directly opposite to the calf muscle) is pretty sore, because I have not gone on sprints in over a month.

So, that's my super long way of saying BCAA supplementation may not be all it's cracked up to be.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 01-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Another interesting consideration, when discussing BCAAs:

A few days ago, Mark had the following blog post, which included the excerpt: "...What’s going on here? It comes down to the amino acid composition of dairy proteins, specifically the amino acids leucine, valine, lysine, and isoleucine. These are the truly insulinogenic proteins, and they’re highest in whey (which is probably why whey protein elicits the biggest insulin response)."

Dairy and its effect on insulin secretion (and what it means for your waistline)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

I checked out the amino acid composition of BCAAs (specifically, this product: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Branc...40-g/3321?at=0 ), and guess what it contains? "L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine" -- this gave me a new perspective on supplementing amino acids, and reminded me that just because a food item is a protein or an amino acid, doesn't automatically mean that it will minimize insulin response.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    just to reiterate, animal proteins are complete proteins- they have all of the amino acids necessary for repairing muscle fibers. you could even cut out the dairy and eggs and still have enough amino acids (which are just the building blocks of protein) as long as you're eating enough for your size (.7-1 g protein/pound of lean weight). i believe the amino acid supplements might be more for vegans who might miss out on specific essential amino acids due to their avoidance of animal proteins.

Alright, peeps!

You have me convinced on this part right here, especially on the amino acids that are "insulinogenic", as I am trying to minimize the insulin response in my body. The drag is that I got this KAL bottle here, so I can just have it here or give it someone who wants it; anyways, seems like I am getting all the AA I want, thanks to your knowledge...soo...

Thanks!
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast