Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Charity page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Primal Charity

I have a couple of direct debits set up to donate to charity each month. One of these is cancer research, who I have donated to for at least eight years.

I find myself questioning whether my money is being wisely spent doing nothing more than finding sticking plasters for an illness which so often can be attributed to modern life, diet, etc.

I have read in numerous places that cancer cells can only use glucose, not ketones as fuel; so a ketogenic (Or at least lower carb) diet should be suggested by all these 'health' agencies.

Of course, that wouldn't make anyone any money.

Any ideas?

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I, too, have reservations about donating to many supposed disease-"curing" charities... many/most/(all?) of them seem to follow along with the government's pernicious health guidelines. Yeah, keep eating your gogurt and fast food, and we'll work on synthesizing a chemical to cure your disease once it develops...

As someone who has muscular dystrophy (MD), and who is familiar with the literature on treating MD with nutrition, I have been very disappointed to see the lack of effort to research whether one cause of MD could be nutritional deficiency. A handful of studies have tested various supplements, but almost always in tiny, inconsequential doses, and of course the results are always negative. Having had my own amazing results from supplementation, I am leery of donating to MD-related charities, when their goal doesn't necessarily seem to be *curing* the disease.

I've been sticking to charities that directly benefit recipients in tangible ways. Charity Navigator is one useful tool to help avoid those with high overhead/administration costs, and ensure that your money is actually going to help people:
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/

One of my favorite charities is actually not a charity... Kiva is a microloan organization that takes your 'donation' and loans it to those in 3rd-world countries who are trying to start a business; as their business succeeds (likely, but not guaranteed), they repay the loan, and you can keep or re-lend the money to another recipient:

Kiva
    http://www.kiva.org/
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 01-16-2011 at 12:16 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i love kiva too!

Paleobird Guest
    It's hard when there are so many "worthy" charities out there. IMHO all of those worthy causes become kind of moot if we don't have a sustainable planet on which to live. That's why I direct my charitable donations toward organizations such as The Nature Conservancy.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Man, it's a sore topic with me. Long story short, I worked at an alternative cancer clinic for six years that was doing amazing things. I saw many people coming in in wheelchairs and then I'd see them again months later and they were walking, they were gray and smelled of death, but then they pinked up and the sparkle in their eyes returned. The government did everything within its power to shut us down and squeeze us out. After all this, including Federal raids, the FDA has sheepishly had to concede that the treatment works and have approved it, at least partially, for some types of cancer.

Anyway, cancer is a huge industry. And a racket. AIDS, the same. Massive money-maker. There will never be a mainstream "cure" (although there are a multitude of natural ways that are free to rid oneself of cancer as well as get CD4 counts within normal limits....) because that will end the gravy train. We are talking a billion-dollar industry here. Read "The Cancer Industry" by Ralph Moss.

I have never given a dime to any cancer charity, nor will I ever. And if you do, you are wasting your money.

Please consider giving to your local animal shelter or spay-and-neuter program. They could really use the help. Kiva (although not a charity) is great too. I sponsor a little girl in India named Sabina through Children International, and I am very pleased with how they run their program and I know for certain my money is being judiciously spent. There are literally thousands of AIDS orphanages in Africa -- all more than worthy. Doctors Without Borders, Mercy Corps, The Salvation Army = excellent.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 01-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    I am running into this problem now. I so want to sponsor a child in need but have hesitations about that child getting rice that my dollar paid for.

We're currently members of Kiva and I LOVE it. Especially because your money gets re-loaned to those of your choice. So $25 a month can go REALLY far.

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I sponsor a little girl in India named Sabina through Children International, and I am very pleased with how they run their program and I know for certain my money is being judiciously spent. There are literally thousands of AIDS orphanages in Africa -- all more than worthy. Doctors Without Borders, Mercy Corps, The Salvation Army = excellent.

Do you send correspondence to Sabina? What does your sponsor money go towards? I've been looking into Compassion International.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    This year proceeds from BoarFest are going to Heifer International to buy livestock for needy families.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, thanks for understanding exactly what I was trying to say! A real variety of great replies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast