Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with meat. page 2

pandapuffs Guest

Primal Fuel

Wow, awesome info everyone! Thank you! I'm going to go nuts at the farmers' market on Sunday. My bf will definitely take the advice about ribeyes and t-bones to heart; he LOVES steak and loves that I do now, too!

Even though I feel like a complete dunce in the kitchen all of a sudden, I haven't been excited about cooking in a few years and I am again. OTB, thanks for the note about grilling indoors. I have a grill pan like that that I've never used--I'll give it a shot.

Thank you all SO MUCH for all this information and advice. This is so helpful--can't say I'll be brave enough to try chicken hearts anytime soon, though!

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

crunchysue, I will try anything once so I'll add hearts with the gizzards! Thanks for the tip.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Diagrams help me out, depending on local name differences etc http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

I've found that because CW says lean is best, the nice fatty "traditional" cuts are usually also the cheapest - this is how I can just about afford organic/grassfed. Generally you can't go wrong with cheaper fatty cuts cooked slowly in stews / crockpots.

I don't know what you already know, but while beef and lamb (and game such as duck) are fine to eat pink / rare, pork and chicken *must* be cooked well. Usual test is to poke hole in thickest part of meat and check colour of juices (they should run clear when well/thoroughly cooked).

I didn't realise lamb was uncommon in America!

Try looking up traditional recipes for classic flavour combinations - e.g. pork goes well with sage, apples. Lamb goes with rosemary or mint. Try chicken with lemon and/or thyme. Duck is delicious but a nice tart orange sauce cuts through the yummy taste. Quick tip for duck breasts - score the skin with a sharp knife and put that side down in a hot pan - this will render some of the fat, so when you flip it over the lean side will cook in its own juices.

Apologies for the epic essay!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

If you are not fond of liver taste you can mix some liver with egg yolks and a bit of mayo and make some deviled eggs. Yolk makes the taste of liver much milder and the two work together very well. hat helps.

nina_70 Guest

I'm not a vegetarian, but spent many years never understanding how to cook...so, I guess you can say I came at it from a newbie pespective.

The book "Born to Grill" has excellent grilling instructions for all meat with precise minute times (which I really needed when I first started out)

Burgers are a great way to start & usually pretty fatty

Pot Roasts are wonderful way to try meat and you get several servings at once. This recipe has good pictures: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pot_roast/

For liver go for a good liver pate. Wonderful stuff.

And...we do stick w/ grass-fed meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12