Thread: muscle and energy loss page

LiamH is offline Junior Member

muscle and energy loss

Shop Now
    Hi,

I'm doing primal and have been for some time. The problem I'm having is that I can't train as hard (even for short durations) as I can when I'm eating a 'normal' ie high carb loaded diet, and also I seem to experience muscle loss; body looking low tone and sort of 'flaccid' for want of a better word. I'm eating as much fat and protein as I can stand. Any ideas?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It would help if you gave us your height, weight, typical day's menu and workout routine.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Add carbs then. Primal is not a de facto low-carb diet. There is plenty of room for tubers and maybe even white rice for those who can tolerate them and who are not trying to loose weight.

The Jaminets (perfecthealthdiet) would say that carb cals from non-starchy veggies don't count towards carbs at all....so count carbs from fruit and tubers and work toward getting where you need to be.

How long have you been doing primal? What kind of workouts are you doing? It took me about 8 weeks to keto-adapt. Be sure you're not eating too much protein (ie not more than 20-30% of cals depending on personal needs).

Some fat as coconut oil may fuel a significant energy boost - it does for me now, though it did not always. Not sure what that's about. I just ate two eggs fried in 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp coconut oil and am positively buzzing. I feel like I've taken my adderall though I have not.

You may also be needing more potassium, magnesium or selenium....folks inadvertantly get to low on those minerals when going low carb. Sometimes, that is, indeed, the issue rather than a lack of carbs. Board searching those terms may yeild some helpful information.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    If your lifting heavy things and keeping the workout in the 30-45 minute range you should have plenty of stored muscle glycogen to finish- Ive been training (powerlifting) fasted for about a year now without any energy issues - I normally load up on fruits and veggies the night before lifting though. If your doing sprints every 7-10 days it shouldn't be too much of an issue either. I do not nor have I ever been involved in endurance training so I can offer no advice there - they seem to need more carbs but they also seem not to care much if they loose muscle either.

Don't remember how hard it was to start training fasted - I do know that doing so increases muscle glycogen storage - there may be a period of adjustment to the lower carbs while glycogen capacity increases.
    Last edited by Rud3d0g; 01-16-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Add carbs then. Primal is not a de facto low-carb diet. There is plenty of room for tubers and maybe even white rice for those who can tolerate them and who are not trying to loose weight.

It took me about 8 weeks to keto-adapt.

You may also be needing more potassium, magnesium or selenium....folks inadvertantly get to low on those minerals when going low carb. Sometimes, that is, indeed, the issue rather than a lack of carbs.
    Ditto on all counts. Read up and experiment with some of this stuff, and you'll probably find your answer.

Another thought -- is it possible you're overtraining?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post

The Jaminets (perfecthealthdiet) would say that carb cals from non-starchy veggies don't count towards carbs at all....so count carbs from fruit and tubers and work toward getting where you need to be.

How long have you been doing primal? What kind of workouts are you doing? It took me about 8 weeks to keto-adapt. Be sure you're not eating too much protein (ie not more than 20-30% of cals depending on personal needs).

Some fat as coconut oil may fuel a significant energy boost - it does for me now, though it did not always. Not sure what that's about. I just ate two eggs fried in 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp coconut oil and am positively buzzing. I feel like I've taken my adderall though I have not.

You may also be needing more potassium, magnesium or selenium....folks inadvertantly get to low on those minerals when going low carb. Sometimes, that is, indeed, the issue rather than a lack of carbs. Board searching those terms may yeild some helpful information.
    Cillakat, I agree with most of what you said there. I ate too much protein and fruit the first months I was on primal and found I needed more starch in my diet to fight energy loss, so I've put back in rice and potatoes, and plenty of sweet potatoes, which are the best of the 3. I'm still looking for ways to increase fat, so I don't overdo it on protein. Also keeping my eyes out for more "safe starches."

You said in the Perfect Health Diet thread thread that you thought the Jaminets were way off on some things...I was wondering where you thought they were off, as I am reading their book now and finding it interesting, not that they can write as well as Mark can, or anywhere near.

Thanks.