Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Literally Allergic to Non-Primal Foods page 2

adipocyte Guest

Shop Now

@MightyMite: Allergies are reactions to proteins, yes, but that doesn't mean meat. That means the basic simple proteins that make up the food. My allergy to wheat, for example, means my body makes an antibody (itself a protein) that binds to the protein in wheat. People allergic to feathers and mold are also responding to the proteins in those things. (Sorry, I'm a biologist, so I can be pedantic.

@Chocolatechip6: I didn't buy So Delicious, just read the ingredients at the store. So, WHAT brand do I get?

@PrimalGoddess I saw Dr. Stephen Wangen at the Center for Food Allergies in Seattle.

MightyMite is offline Member

adipocyte: Sorry, should have specified that my response was to gazb's statement that they'd never heard of anyone being allergic to meat. Yes, there are proteins in many non-meat foods, such as grains, seeds, fruits and vegetables to name others. (Sorry, I'm a Research Biochemist and probably even more pedantic than you are.)

You might want to check out "Dealing With Food Allergies" by Janice Vickerstaff Joneja, PhD. More than you probably wanted to know about food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances of all ilk.

And you might want to check out the Positive Predictive Value of the IgG and IgE testing that they do at Center for Food Allergies. Here's a link to an interesting series of articles put out by the folks over at Bastyr University:

http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/282.cfm

adipocyte Guest

@MightyMite That's what I get for posting so early in the morning! Thank you for the book recommendation and the link. I was wondering if there was a questionable aspect of IgG screens since MDs don't seem interested in them at all. In the past 15 years I've had two surgeries on my small intestine with utterly no clear diagnosis (not ulcers, not Crohn's disease, just inflammation) so I was willing to pay for some nontraditional testing.

At any rate, it's interesting that this screen, at least, told me to go primal.

adipocyte Guest

Seattle Center for Food Allergies uses this lab, which claims to run duplicates of each test: http://www.usbiotek.com/Services_ant...ent-Panels.php

Mightmite: Thanks again for the article. The information about the make-shift antibodies in the Oklahoma lab was scary! Do let me know if you know anything about US Biotek's reputation.

MightyMite is offline Member

@adipocyte: Yeah, one of these days I really have to learn that trick with doing embedded quotes so it's obvious if I'm referring to a specific post. And I will amend my statement to read that I am UNDOUBTEDLY more pedantic than you are. Yes, anal-retentive does have a hyphen, why do you ask?

That is a real bummer about your digestive tract inflammation issues; my SO and a good friend both have Crohn's and have both had major resections and treatment with immunologics (Remicade and Humira, respectively). My SO has experimented with going gluten-free and it has no effect on his symptoms. Right now (knock on wood) he is experiencing an absence of symptoms and he can't correlate it with doing ANYTHING differently--the bummer being that if he knew what worked, he could keep doing it.

As to your test results, it couldn't hurt to remove all the "culprits" and see how you feel. Wishing you the best of luck in your quest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12