Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GERD new issue, need some help page 2

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossar View Post
    I don't think you can have an anaphylactic reaction with milk when you've been eating it all your life on a daily basis... signs would be more intense but I'll check into ti
    As far as I am aware as a biochemist, an allergy can develop any time. For example I took penicillin for the first 16 years of my life with no issues, then suddenly developed an allergy causing painful swolen joints. If I have it again I am at risk of anaphylaxis.

Allergies to things you are exposd to regularly can start or worsen at any time. I have developed new and worsening allergies since i was about 15 and first developed hay fever, dust allergy and allergy to animal dander. Lately I have difficulty even finding natural skincare products I don't react to. Let's just say allergy and intolerance is a bit part of my life!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Captain Scarlet is offline Junior Member
    I'm a new member, but just thought I would chip in with my experience of GERD. I has pretty bad reflux for a couple of years and I just learnt to deal with it. After I became more and more sick I decided to visit the doctor. Of course they gave me a tablet that reduced the reflux, which I took for a couple of months. I found that taking the tablets removed the acid issue but I still felt unwell, so I decided to investigate this myself.

I found some interesting articles, which led me to buy a book (can't remember the name, but if anyone wants the title, let me know and I will get it when I'm at home) that solved my problem. Apart from a couple of tips regarding avoid late night meals, don't drink whilst you are eating, avoid chocolate, the most interesting bit was the fact that 9 out of 10 cases of reflux is due to TOO LITTLE acid not TOO MUCH. The author recommended an acid tablet called Betaine Hydrochloride (you can buy it in health stores or pharmacists, no prescription required) which you take before you eat and kick starts your acid production. It worked 100% for me. I feel much better and I can eat without fear of reflux. I still avoid late night meals etc, but apart from that I can manage it very well and I feel much much better. I no longer take what the doctor gave me, as I have no need to.

Interestingly, I told a woman at work who suffers from the same thing. I gave her all the info etc, but she chose to stick with her prescription tablet. Having undigested food sitting in her stomach seemed to appeal to her more that having the acid clear it up.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Captain Scarlet; 01-16-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added more content

Barb is offline Senior Member
    If you are having trouble swallowing and it feels like things are getting stuck in your throat, the problem may not be GERD. If this doesn't clear up fairly soon, I would advise a trip to a gastroenterologist for an evaluation. Tumors in the neck area or the esophagus itself can impede swallowing, which is the first symptom. It is fairly straightforward to check for them - a CT scan can find them. Some people develop problems with the smooth muscle of the esophagus so that it doesn't propel the food properly down into the stomach and it literally gets "hung up" in the esophagus.

There are various swallowing tests to see how food travels down the esophagus. A barium test has you swallow some food with contrast dye while having a series of xrays taken to track the food passage. They can also do muscle fiber testing of the esophagus.

If you are not having any sternal area pain, just swallowing difficulties, it doesn't really sound like GERD. In any case, a tumor is easy to check for and best treated as early as possible. I work in a hospital where we treat all the head, neck, oral cavity, and esophageal cancers and other tumors. They are becoming increasingly common, even amongst younger people. Risk factors are using any kind of tobacco and higher alcohol intake.

If you have GERD that is not responding to treatment or proper dietary habits, you may have a physical problem such as a hiatal hernia that impairs the esophageal sphincter from functioning properly, allowing digestive acids to continually wash back up into the esophagus. This causes very painful reflux symptoms - constant burning and aching pain after eating in the sternal area. If you aren't really having that kind of pain, you probably don't have that kind of physical abnormality.

Primal eating is very helpful for improving health. However, it is not a cure for everything. Swallowing difficulties are generally not a common symptom of GERD, but they can be symptoms of other problems that primal eating will not improve. IF it doesn't go away, please have it checked out by an expert, not someone who will just tell you take a some anti-depressants!!!!! That sounds like malpractice to me.

Take care and best of luck! Barb

Jennifer-Lynn-Maui is offline Junior Member
    Aloha from Maui. I am having the same issues. I have been eating primal and living super healthy all my life and never had anything like this. I've been growing my own food for years eating it right out of the garden and enjoying fresh fish now and then (mostly vegetarian). I take vit D and fish oil everything organic... all the right things. I am a yoga instructor, surfer, happy person who always slept like a baby. Then I turned 48 and suddenly I was feeling tightness in my chest and having trouble sleeping and sometimes breathing, couldn't sleep on my side, would loose my voice and sometimes get a choking sensation at the top of my throat. It scared the crap out of me. None of my doctors suspected GERD because of my healthy lifestlye. Never thought I would have GERDs but that's what it is. Some have said it is a symptom of hormone changes. That hormone shitf change the bodies ability to digest food completely and when there is too much undigested food in the system, the body's auto immune response causes loads of acid to be produced in an attempt to digest the food. What happens is the over production of acid starts "digesting" our insides. YIKES!

I've been treating the symptoms with aloe vera juice (sipping it all day long) but the intensity comes and goes. Even when I juice fast the tightness is there. I have done all the Dr. Shultz cleanses, colon hydro therapy, loads of pro-biotics, etc. and have only got temporary releif.

Visited a web site called digestaqure.com that has some great information on the root of GERDs and other autoimmune digestive disorders. Have ordered a product called Digestaqure that addresses auto-immune digestive disorders naturally. Some one else suggested the PB micro organisms for intestinal flora so I ordered that too. Will let you know how those help.

Would love to hear what Mark has to say about this.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Nossar, have you been taking NSAIDS (Aleve, etc) for a long time or on a regular basis?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading over at The Perfect Health diet and a comment made by Julianne may relate to you:

"@Thea, I too have found so far the best results with Hashimotos eating an auto-immune paleo diet + daily omega 3 supplement. My waistline and TSH is the best since being diagnosed 2 years ago. I exclude dairy, grains(including rice), legumes, seeds, nuts, alcohol. However – I find a moderate carb diet is best as well. I tend to use a gram per kilo bw per day a good way to measure – I find 75 – 100 grams carbs which equals 1.5 – 2 grams per kilo per day works for me. I tried lower carb, but get the lump feeling in my throat – slight thyroid inflammation. It goes when I eat enough carbs, starchy veg make me feel good."
    Carbohydrates and the Thyroid | Perfect Health Diet
    Last edited by Sue; 08-24-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Do you think it could be your thyroid causing lump as per my previous post?

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    The difficulty swallowing may be from a hiatal hernia.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this will be any help whatsoever, but my daughter suffers terribly from GERD at 14 (she was born with congenital stomach deformities and has had major corrective surgery as a baby, and this is the last residual symptom). She was put on PPIs at 10 years old, but we stopped them very quickly as she became really rather unwell - not unsurprisingly! One of the things that has really helped her, and helped her throat to heal, is slippery elm. She takes it in powder form mixed with some cinnamon and water, a teaspoon after meals. She also is better when she restricts carbs and sticks to good fats. She has had no problems over the summer, but I know once she is back at school and eating school meals that the problems will start to appear again.

I would definitely suggest a trip to a different doctor and get anything sinister ruled out, especially thyroid inflammation, possible tumours and hiatus hernias. I do wish you luck!

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet View Post
    I'm a new member, but just thought I would chip in with my experience of GERD. I has pretty bad reflux for a couple of years and I just learnt to deal with it. After I became more and more sick I decided to visit the doctor. Of course they gave me a tablet that reduced the reflux, which I took for a couple of months. I found that taking the tablets removed the acid issue but I still felt unwell, so I decided to investigate this myself.

I found some interesting articles, which led me to buy a book (can't remember the name, but if anyone wants the title, let me know and I will get it when I'm at home) that solved my problem. Apart from a couple of tips regarding avoid late night meals, don't drink whilst you are eating, avoid chocolate, the most interesting bit was the fact that 9 out of 10 cases of reflux is due to TOO LITTLE acid not TOO MUCH. The author recommended an acid tablet called Betaine Hydrochloride (you can buy it in health stores or pharmacists, no prescription required) which you take before you eat and kick starts your acid production. It worked 100% for me. I feel much better and I can eat without fear of reflux. I still avoid late night meals etc, but apart from that I can manage it very well and I feel much much better. I no longer take what the doctor gave me, as I have no need to.

Interestingly, I told a woman at work who suffers from the same thing. I gave her all the info etc, but she chose to stick with her prescription tablet. Having undigested food sitting in her stomach seemed to appeal to her more that having the acid clear it up.

Hope that helps.
    Anyone having problems with GERD should read Chris Kresser's analysis of why it's about not having enough stomach acid, not the other way around:

The hidden causes of heartburn and GERD

Get that Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin supplement.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast