Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad about my dog food..... page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Sad about my dog food.....

Shop Now
    My dog has slowly been getting a little bit chunky, but if I cut back on his kibble even a little bit he gets nausea and vomiting. It reminded me of how I used to feel if I didn't eat often enough when I was on a high carb diet. I looked up the breakdown of his food and it turns out it is 50% Carbohydrate and only 16% Fat!!! No wonder the poor guy is so darn hungry all the time He uses all his brain power and skills to steal butter every chance he gets....now I know why

It is Innova dog food -fairly expensive and well reviewed by dog people, but clearly NOT primal! He is also not a very high energy dog, so maybe higher fat, lower carb dog food can help with that, too.
    Last edited by jammies; 01-15-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    My dog is thriving on Orijen...grain free, high protein and mostly Primal. They sustainably source as well.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Crude protein (min.) 38.0 %
    Crude fat (min.) 17.0 %
    Crude fiber (max.) 3.0 %
    Moisture (max.) 10.0 %
    Calcium (min./max.) 1.4 % / 1.6 %
    Phosphorus (min./max.) 1.2 % / 1.4 %
    Omega-6 (min.) 3.0 %
    Omega-3 (min.) 1.1 %
    DHA (min.) 0.6 %
    EPA (min.) 0.3 %
    AA (min.) 0.16 %
    Carbohydrate (max.) 25%
    Ash (max.) 7.5%
    Taurine (min.) 0.35 %
    Glucosamine (min.) 1400 mg/kg
    Chondroitin (min.) 1000 mg/kg
    Microorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kg
    pH

Not cheap, but he will probably never need to go to the vet and he had hardly any fleas in a very high flea season here.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Not all Innova food is created equally. They have several lines, their EVO line being the best and I believe has a better ratio than that. However, P&G bought them out a little while back, and I've since switched to Orijen/Arcana (same line, different % in protein)

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    We feed Taste of the Wild dog food (we did raw food but with a toddler, that's all I need is her chewing on a raw meaty bone. Haha!) because it's available at our Tractor Supply Co. It's really not that expensive. Especially considering the dogs don't eat as much of it as they would Pedigree or Purina. Also, we feed it to all three, in a trough (seriously) and they range in age from puppy to senior. They're all in great shape. Never have flea or tick problems, good teeth, etc. We still give them raw food outside on occasion, though.

Protein: 32% Fat: 18%
    Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
    Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
    Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I should add: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ndex.php/cat/1
    this is a good site to compare dog foods, especially since some of the brands can be hard to track down depending on where you're located.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    What kind of dog do you have, and what does it weight. I'd find out how many calories he/she needs per day and go from there. Dog calorie calculator: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fe...od-calculator/

I have my dog on http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1699 and she is doing great. Always compliments on her coat. Each cup is about 516 cals, so you can figure out what your dog needs and feed him/her accordingly.

EVO Herring & Salmon
    Protein: 42% Fat: 18%

Carbohydrate 18%
    Last edited by Tee; 01-16-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My dog is thriving on Orijen...grain free, high protein and mostly Primal. They sustainably source as well.
    I was just going to recommend that brand. The company is actually pretty close to me. I know a lot of people who have switched to this brand and not one who has switched back to anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by thepaleochild View Post
    We feed Taste of the Wild dog food (we did raw food but with a toddler, that's all I need is her chewing on a raw meaty bone. Haha!) because it's available at our Tractor Supply Co. It's really not that expensive. Especially considering the dogs don't eat as much of it as they would Pedigree or Purina. Also, we feed it to all three, in a trough (seriously) and they range in age from puppy to senior. They're all in great shape. Never have flea or tick problems, good teeth, etc. We still give them raw food outside on occasion, though.

Protein: 32% Fat: 18%
    Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
    Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
    Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.
    My dog does love this dog food, and it would be a step in the right direction, but it is still 36% carbohydrate. A raw food diet is lower than that, so I think i will try something a little lower. However, I tried for a long time when I first got him to transition him to EVO red meat, which is 24% fat and 14% carb. I could never get him over about 20% of his diet on that food, without causing diarrhea. So maybe he needs something in the middle?
    Last edited by jammies; 01-16-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    What kind of dog do you have, and what does it weight. I'd find out how many calories he/she needs per day and go from there. Dog calorie calculator: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fe...od-calculator/

I have my dog on http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1699 and she is doing great. Always compliments on her coat. Each cup is about 516 cals, so you can figure out what your dog needs and feed him/her accordingly.

EVO Herring & Salmon
    Protein: 42% Fat: 18%

Carbohydrate 18%
    I could never get his GI tract to accept EVO in the past.....even with a 3 month intro. However, I was using the red meat version, which has 23% fat 14% carb....maybe the fish version would be worth trying?

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have done a bunch of reading since last night. I think I am going to do a combination of

Origen - as his main dog food.

Vital dog food rolls - every morning my dog gets a cow bone stuffed with food to work at after I leave for work. He had been getting Nature Balance rolls stuffed in it - ugh, read last night it has sugar in it and is mostly carbohydrate.

Primal Raw Frozen - I am going to slow try to add this in just as a small part of his diet.

I will make these changes slowly and hope for the best! I think I will need to get a second job to pay for this! Hopefully his energy will improve and he will lose a little bit of weight.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast