Thread: Better carb source? page

terrax is offline Member

Better carb source?

What is the better choice of carbs: fruit (non- starchy fruit like berries) or sweet potatoes?

I want to decrease sugar intake, but not have too low of a carb intake at the same time, and wasn't sure which source is better/worse/equal..... any thoughts?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'd say sweet potatoes or any starchy vegetable is better than any fruit, but your question is an interesting one and I'll be watching this thread for replies. I'd say though if you're lifting heavy things (like you should be) sweet potatoes are best in moderation.

keji is offline Junior Member
    Definitely sweet potato.

jpatton624 is offline Member
    yucca root, taro, white rice (although nutritionally empty), jicama

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would think that berries are pretty good. If you had said oranges or bananas than maybe I would have said sweet potatoes. But both berries and sweet potatoes aren't bad options compared to other carbs. Blueberries also are very high in antioxidants. I would go with whatever your body is really wanting at that specific moment in time.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Whichever source that doesn't contain fructose is the better source generally but berries in moderation might possibly be beneficial.

You picked two tough ones actually, unless of course it's something like strawberries you're referring to, in which case it's potato all the way, blueberries/blackberries though and it's a toss up.

runman1954 is offline Member
    Art Devany would tell you sweet potato is better choice then regular potato but still not ideal and he's a big fan of fruit (no bananas). Mellons and berries.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I think both are good, which one is best kind of depends on the situation. If you haven't exercised and don't have depleted muscle glycogen stores, then glucose will refill liver glycogen the same way that fructose does (no matter what happens with your muscles). Fructose consumption when liver glycogen stores are full probably has a negative effect though. This usually isn't the case on a low carb diet, but if you eat fruit in the morning (or just not after eating a lot of starchy carbs) then you will be on the safe side. You will also want to limit your daily fructose intake at around 20g (maybe higher if it's split up over the day) which is around 50 grams of raisins or 400 grams of blueberries (this also comes with some glucose and would probably spike insulin pretty bad tbh which wouldn't be ideal for weight loss lol)

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    Try them both. Whichever option makes you feel better is the option you should choose. Take in all the great advice of this thread, but remember, the only gospel there is when it comes to diet is the set of foods and behaviors that optimize your personal experience.

Every person is different.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Both are fine. They each have their advantages. I put them both in the category of healthy food to be eaten any time I want.