Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "sea tangle" noodles page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

"sea tangle" noodles

Primal Fuel
    I just tried these for the first time making a big comforting bowl of pho (with grass-fed beef bone broth!) and they're NEAT! I'm not much of a pasta person, or a not-quite-there-replacement person, but it sure is FUN to have something so... so damn noodley.

They're made from 'Sea Tangle,' which is Kombu, I believe. Possibly Kelp?

-写
    Little Saiyan

pebblehead is offline Member
    Thanks for sharing, they sound intriguing! And aren't sea vegetables supposed to be really healthy?

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    I just posted about these! Are they dried noodles or do they come in a bag? I bought Sea Tangle kelp noodles, already in a bag. You just have to rinse them, and then you can serve them hot or cold. Would you mind posting your pho recipe? Pho is amazing!

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I've always stayed away from noodle substitutes, but these I would love to try! I have this Vietnemese noodle salad that I have been missing and it's not the same without noodles. Thanks for posting!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been wanting to cook with seaweed for quite a while. I love ordering it when I'm at asian restaurants but it would be nice to try it at home. I'll have to look for this. Is it just seaweed, or is it processed into "noodles"?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Is it just seaweed, or is it processed into "noodles"?
    The Sea Tangle kelp noodles are kelp, seaweed and water: http://kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html I think they are pretty natural and primal.

I like the Sea Tangle kelp noodles. I haven't tried the mixed sea veg or green tea kelp ones though. For those new to these noodles, these are best with Asian dishes. I don't think they would be that great in traditional pasta dishes (spaghetti & meatballs type of things).

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    I love these in salads.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    First get a bunch of grass-fed beef bones and roast them. Gather up the tallow that came out. Now take the bones in a giant stock-pot and boil them. They'll foam and stuff sometimes, pretty nasty looking. Dump the water. Use the tallow to brown some hunks of onion, ginger, and garlic. Now fill it up again and boil them again, then turn down to simmer and leave for an hour or two.

I find whole spice 'tea bags' at my Korean market that usually consist of something like: 3 cinnamon sticks, 5 anise stars, some peppercorns, some cardamoms, etc. I suggest seeking out your Asian market's spice section. They come with a little cloth bag. Put that little cloth bag into the pot and add some fish sauce (just enough to give it a sparky flavor) and then I throw in a whole unpeeled onion and a whole unpeeled garlic bulb. Sometimes I add sliced brisket now, too. Oh yeah, and another hunk of ginger and a little knob of jalapeņo. OK, we set? Ok.

Now leave it alone for another hour or two.

Strain everything out. Scoop the bones out and save the good stuff, then set the bones aside to give to doggy or grind into coffee or make some hard-core candle-holders or something. At this point, taste your stock and-- oh no wait, not yet. Put it in the fridge and let it chill until the fat comes to the top. Take it off and save it for later use. Fat is good, but greasy soup is bad. Now you have a sort of beefy vietnamese jello. Its pretty cool. However, you're not done. Now you warm it back up and taste it. Add salt until you like the taste.

Hey! You're done with the stock part of your pho. Now get bean sprouts, sliced jalepenos, brisket or thinly sliced chicken, paper-thin purple onions, cilantro, mint, thai-basil, and hot sauce. Build your pho as you see fit. Hooray!! You're phoking finished.

Pho is perfectly fine just like that. However, at this point you can also boil some sea-tangle noodles in your ungarnished serving of broth and let them soften up before adding the meat and veggies in.

Happy eating...

Little Saiyan

pebblehead is offline Member
    Wow Ikaika. I had no idea all that was involved in making Pho, but it does help to explain why it is so delicious!

BlueSky86 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Does anyone know how long these keep for in the fridge? Should they be kept in water in tupperware? Change out the water daily like you would for tofu? They are great for pasta cravings, but I'm the only one who eats them, and there's a lot in one package!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast