Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should I tackle Vitamin D deficiency? page

inter is offline Junior Member

How should I tackle Vitamin D deficiency?

Shop Now
    My Vit D level is 10 ng/l. Should I take 50K once a week or 10K every day? And do I have to supplement with other vitamins/minerals?

I'd really like to avoid any potential side effects so I want to get the dosage down right.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Best to take 10,000 IUs every day. Make sure you are taking an oil-based gel cap, like Carlson's Solar Gems or NOW brand. Make sure to re-test in 3-4 months. Make sure you are getting sufficient A, K, calcium and magnesium either via diet or supplements. More info in this very long Vitamin D thread.

inter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Best to take 10,000 IUs every day. Make sure you are taking an oil-based gel cap, like Carlson's Solar Gems or NOW brand. Make sure to re-test in 3-4 months. Make sure you are getting sufficient A, K, calcium and magnesium either via diet or supplements. More info in this very long Vitamin D thread.
    Thank you.

I actually have a bottle of dry tablets for the time being. Can I take it with some coconut oil? It just needs the fat to absorb, no?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    Thank you.

I actually have a bottle of dry tablets for the time being. Can I take it with some coconut oil? It just needs the fat to absorb, no?
    For some, they will work, for others, they will have no effect. D is cheap. I'd toss it and get an oil based gel cap from iherb.com. Or the drops. I really like nature's answer D3 drops. My links have some info.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I really like nature's answer D3 drops.
    I second this. I literally spent over two years trying to get my Vitamin D levels up. I took prescription D2 (worked, but then my levels plunged between doses), at least 5 brands of D3 (got my levels up to 28 ng/ml which was better but not high enough), and even went to a tanning bed.

I finally switched to the Nature's answer D3 drops and poof - after 3 months my D3 is at the very top of the normal! My only complaint is they recently switched the bottles from droppers to some ridiculous shaker system. I have to buy eye droppers now to get a decent dose.

Good luck!

mystifiedu is offline Member
    I agree the best vitamin D to take is iether the liquid drops or the gel caps 10,000 ius a day is good

Grizz is offline Banned
    inter,
    Cillikat & Dragonfly are RIGHT ON. Get rid of your dry capsules & get the right kind of Gel Tabs. Wife & I are both on 10,000 IU Daily and out 25(oh)D blood tests just came back in the optimal range recommended by the Vitamin D Council of 50 to 80 ng/ml.

This is soooo VITALLY IMPORTANT to your health. Don't be penny pinching about it.
    Here is why:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/z028357_v...eficiency.html

For more on Vitamin D3 see my Vitamin D3 Research Report below,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-27-2011 at 03:23 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    My Vit D level is 10 ng/l. Should I take 50K once a week or 10K every day? And do I have to supplement with other vitamins/minerals?

I'd really like to avoid any potential side effects so I want to get the dosage down right.
    What did your doctor recommend? My level was 16 ng/l and I am taking 50,000 IU twice a week and I am thinking I will take 1,000 or 2 IU everyday with it (even though that wasn't suggested) and then after 3 months I will take 5,000 IU daily (even though 2,000 IU is what is usually recommended). I am consistently low and living in the Pacific Northwest so I personally don't think 5,000 IU is going to be too much. I have heard from a doctor that once your body is saturated it can be easy to take too much. I don't think I agree, but just something I heard.

One more thing to add ... my prescription for 50,000 IU tabs was $20 for 8 pills (bogus) plus this time they are powder instead of gel (also bogus) and before I got the full three months of gel caps for $15. I am thinking of skipping the next prescription bottle and ordering gel caps. Can't I take 50,000 IU that way and save a bunch of money??
    Last edited by healthy11; 01-27-2011 at 05:30 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I second this. I literally spent over two years trying to get my Vitamin D levels up. I took prescription D2 (worked, but then my levels plunged between doses), at least 5 brands of D3 (got my levels up to 28 ng/ml which was better but not high enough), and even went to a tanning bed.

I finally switched to the Nature's answer D3 drops and poof - after 3 months my D3 is at the very top of the normal! My only complaint is they recently switched the bottles from droppers to some ridiculous shaker system. I have to buy eye droppers now to get a decent dose.

Good luck!
    Just looked up the now D3 drops... there is quite a difference between the now brand and Carlson brand. $5.51 for Now (60 ml) and Carlson Lab $20 (10 ml).

One drop of Carlson is 2,000 IU and there are 365 drops. Now is 400 IU for 4 drops and there are 5,000 drops. (full dropper = 5,000 IU)

Thanks for the info... I am going to get the Carlson Labs today!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    What did your doctor recommend? My level was 16 ng/l and I am taking 50,000 IU twice a week and I am thinking I will take 1,000 or 2 IU everyday with it (even though that wasn't suggested) and then after 3 months I will take 5,000 IU daily (even though 2,000 IU is what is usually recommended). I am consistently low and living in the Pacific Northwest so I personally don't think 5,000 IU is going to be too much. I have heard from a doctor that once your body is saturated it can be easy to take too much. I don't think I agree, but just something I heard.

One more thing to add ... my prescription for 50,000 IU tabs was $20 for 8 pills (bogus) plus this time they are powder instead of gel (also bogus) and before I got the full three months of gel caps for $15. I am thinking of skipping the next prescription bottle and ordering gel caps. Can't I take 50,000 IU that way and save a bunch of money??
    Healthy11,
    NO you cannot take those 50,000 IU supplements. They are Vitamin D2 and D2 is simply UNACCEPTABLE.
    "Vitamin D2 is only 10% to 30% as efficient as D3, not suitable." Please read this link carefully:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...itamin-d2.html

Vitamin D3 Geltabs are so inexpensive, why do you insist on being so CHEAP? It is your health that you are screwing around with. What part of Cillakat & Dragonfly's & my own messages did you not understand ? Please go back and re-read those messages.

Go out & buy the 5,000 IU Geltabs. A bottle is only $4 at Walmart. Or get the ones that Cillakat & Dragonfly told you about.

Sorry, but YOU SEEM TO BE WASTING OUR TIME. . . . I suggest you DO AS YOU ARE TOLD . . . .

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-27-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast