Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Love page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Coffee Love

Primal Fuel
    In general health circles coffee gets a bad rap. Here, it seems that it's tolerated, but not celebrated. While not everyone likes coffee, and maybe not everyone should drink it, I personally think that coffee deserves more praise than it usually receives. I'm also curious how others like their coffee, and if anyone geeks out on coffee beans. So, how do you like your cuppa Jo? Do you only drink fair trade coffea arabica while listening to Bach's Kaffee Cantata? or do you settle for Folger's? do you prefer espresso with a heavy crema, or go more for a cappuccino?

Also, do you think it's possible that coffee can actually be a health-promoting addition to one's diet? I remember reading an article about a study which showed a negative correlation between type II diabetes and the consumption of 6 or more cups of coffee per day. Obviously that doesn't prove that coffee prevents t2 diabetes, but it does make me wonder: is it possible that coffee is healthy?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I am happy to say I have never been a coffee drinker... I have had espresso drinks in the past but it makes me all jittery! Even just a little caffeine does not settle well with me.

Give me a cup of green, white or herbal tea and I am good to go!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i do think that coffee has many health benefits, including the ability to knock out a migraine if you take 3 cups of dark roasted, black coffee right at the first onset of symptoms.

i don't drink it because i don't like it.

but my husband gets fair trade, organic, locally roasted, dark roasted coffee that he makes about once a week in a french press. we listen to all kinds of music.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Lots of coffee, mostly decaf. Dark roast. Try to get fair trade, organic, shade grown. Made with a cone. Usually add cinnamon and cream.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    primal toad- maybe i should add tea, too. what are your favorite teas? i fondly remember drinking a green tea in a chinese restaurant in nyc's china town 9 years ago. as hedonistic as i am about food, i don't remember any details about that meal except the color (greenish-khaki) and taste (fresh and delightfully beany) of that tea. unfortunately our server couldn't tell me exactly what kind of tea it was (he didn't speak english and just repeated "tea" emphatically), so i have no hopes of recreating that experience. now i enjoy jasmine green tea, but i'm open to suggestions.

zoebird- i haven't tried coffee from a french press yet, but i enjoy mine from a mokka pot. i even get a little crema. my favorite so far was a cold-pressed espresso with milk from a local coffee shop. it was so mellow and smooth.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    There's nothing like a really great cup of coffee. When I get one I thoroughly enjoy it.

On the day to day I just go with my store brand decaff. It has good flavor and it's the coconut milk (and occasional stevia) that reall makes it. Throw in a little nutmeg and cinnamon... yummm...

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    In general health circles coffee gets a bad rap. Here, it seems that it's tolerated, but not celebrated. While not everyone likes coffee, and maybe not everyone should drink it, I personally think that coffee deserves more praise than it usually receives. I'm also curious how others like their coffee, and if anyone geeks out on coffee beans. So, how do you like your cuppa Jo? Do you only drink fair trade coffea arabica while listening to Bach's Kaffee Cantata? or do you settle for Folger's? do you prefer espresso with a heavy crema, or go more for a cappuccino?

Also, do you think it's possible that coffee can actually be a health-promoting addition to one's diet? I remember reading an article about a study which showed a negative correlation between type II diabetes and the consumption of 6 or more cups of coffee per day. Obviously that doesn't prove that coffee prevents t2 diabetes, but it does make me wonder: is it possible that coffee is healthy?
    Charles Poliquin raves about the health benefits of coffee. Lots of antioxydants with no health problems.

I remember an interesting read on T-Nation about nutrigenomics (nutrition + genes). One of the hypothesis about coffee was that some people have a gene that helps them degrade cafeine (the stuff that brings health problems) pretty quickly, which means they get the benefits of the antioxydants without too many ill effects of cafeine. A win situation overall. Those who can't degrade cafeine efficiently see the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. That theory would explain why studies about coffee and health never seem to agree.

It makes sense to me. If I drink coffee in the morning or eat too much dark chocolate, I have a hard time sleeping that night and I crash the next day. The wife, however, can drink a cup and go straight to sleep like a sloth.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I love coffee. I drink usually a medium roast, not too picky about the brand, but I am not a fan of Folger's.

I like mine with a dollop of coconut milk and a dash of cream. I haven't been able to totally ditch the cream, but adding coconut milk has enabled me to get rid of the sugar. I often add some cinnamon too, yum!

Until this week we didn't have a place to get any type of espresso drink locally. I used ot drink them daily at my first base, and had to limit myself to a treat once a week. Now we have a Starbucks in the gym, so I might have one on occasion on a Friday after my workout

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Oh, as for tea I am even less picky. I like green tea, white tea, black tea, chai tea, herbal tea.

Saorise, for the Chinese tea that was nutty and slightly green, it might be barley tea. My Korean friend always gave that to me and it was exactly as you describe it!

I love your name BTW, I wanted to name my last child that if we had a girl. We ended up naming him Colm

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I usually don't like coffee, but today I had a salted caramel latté made with local whole organic milk and locally-raosted fair-trade coffee and I was in heaven! OMG!!!
    (My cheat treat!)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast