Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White rice? Brown rice? page

janie is online now Senior Member

White rice? Brown rice?

Primal Fuel
    I've read several times in the forum where a person recommends white rice being added to a meal for extra calories. I can't seem to find a reference in Mark's book -- can someone tell me why this would be recommended...and why white rice is recommended over brown?

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I can't see that rice could be recommended at all, but white rice would not have the phytates that occur in brown rice. Phytate binds with minerals and prevents them from being absorbed, and it occurs in grains/seeds. I suppose if you really, really, really needed more calories, you could resort to that, but I would choose a peeled, cooked potato (or, better yet, a sweet potato!) over rice, personally.

And, really, if you need more calories, reach for fat. Lately, I've been going through a jar of duck fat that rendered off the pastured duck I cooked for Christmas. It's delicious. I also add cream to things, since I'm not sensitive to dairy.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that although mark has said that rice isn't as bad as what etc. because of the high carb count most people wouldn't want to make it a staple. And if you are going to eat rice, then unpolished brown our wild rice varieties are preferred as they are less processed and retain more of their natural nutrients.

Also, they have more flavor than white rice :-)

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Here are Mark's recent thoughts. I eat some white rice. just one of the things I'm not giving up. My thoughts.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    I still enjoy white rice with my sushi. I eat it also with my thai curries as a sauce absorber. mmm. green curry. However I don't get any crazy blood glucose response from it, and some people do. I'm not sure what my fasting bg is, but when I took the gestational diabetes test i passed with flying colors after a 16 hr fast (they took FOREVER to see me down there at labcorp). However the taste of that glucose drink made me want to puke it was so damn sweet and thick.
    Last edited by earthspirit; 01-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in the Phillippines and everyone there ate rice as a staple, and so does all my family, grandparents etc. I do much better with rice than breads/pastas for some reason. I guess because my ancestors ate it I do better with it personally. But now I probably only have a tablespoon of rice every week or so. Its not like before when I used to eat a full plate of rice with dinner.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I do much better with rice than breads/pastas for some reason.
    May also be because its gluten free. Most breads and many pastas are wheat/gluten based.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    May also be because its gluten free. Most breads and many pastas are wheat/gluten based.
    Yes naturally because its gluten free. But what I should have specified is with a spike blood glucose response in particular.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    Robb Wolf and the Perfect Health Diet have suggested white rice as an ok addition into the diet, if your goals are not weight loss, or if you are not diabetic/pre-diabetic. It is a relatively safe non-toxic carb source.

Though probably still best used in moderation, the only times I eat it really is the occasional sushi outing.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's talked about in the Perfect Health Diet as well which is another really good paleo/primal book.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast