Thread: Okay Percentages? page

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

Okay Percentages?

Primal Fuel
    So for breakfast today I tried the coconut pancakes from the PB cookbook. Hubby & I both thought they were a little sawdust-ish, and mine tasted like play-doh, but a healthy dousing of butter and organic maple syrup made me hork them down like a carb-crazed maniac.

Anyway, I was just wondering if the following percentages are okay for my day (I'm just starting out). It looks like a LOT of fat, and still being new, that makes me nervous.

64% fat, 8% carb, 27% protein. The rest of my day includes cornish game hens with steamed vegetables and mashed cauliflower, and I also have some Jay Robb protein powder lined up *in case* I get hungry between now and 6.

Suggestions? Am I doing ok? Too much fat? Too little protein? Help!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    that looks pretty typical!
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Your percentages are fine. Try not to worry about fat, it's your fuel.

As for coconut pancakes, I find them horrible and disgusting and not worth it. Especially if you have to douse them in maple syrup which is especially bad for a diabetic.

I posted a wicked awesome crepe recipe you should try:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?14920-Crepes!!!!!!!!

that can be stuffed with savory fillings, or berry dessert like fillings, which would probably be better than maple syrup.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    The numbers look good!

I've found myself that it's just not worth it to try to make low carb fake foods...they don't taste great and they leave me craving more carbs. And the texture is always horrid. Plus I don't lose weight when I eat them. So for breakfast, I usually eat leftovers. A high protein/high fat breakfast really gives me energy for the day. Or if I'm in a rush, I just have a bit of coconut oil to tide me over until lunch. I think when I first started eating low carb, before I had ever heard of Primal, I was always looking for recipes to mimic what I used to eat. When I tried Primal it finally clicked that I just needed to eat simpler foods. It does make me a bit sad when I glance over at my bookcase of 200 plus cookbooks! I save so much time cooking simply now. (Not that it's directed in any useful fashion, it just gives me more time to waste on Damn You Autocorrect.) Even though I'm a cooking school dropout who has loved cooking since I was 5 years old, I find that I don't have the same interest in cooking I used to. Plain food starts to taste a lot better once your sense of taste isn't blunted by sweetness. And then when you have something sweet after a while, like a wild blueberry with lots of flavor, it is an amazing experience on its own that doesn't need any fussy recipe.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Thanks for the reassurance. It just seemed like a LOT of fat, especially when I wasn't planning on being terribly active today (basic house chores, etc).

P.S. Thanks for the recipe!

I just thought it would be nice to make some Saturday morning pancakes for the hubby. He gets up very early to catch the bus to work each morning, so usually doesn't have the opportunity to have a nice, big breakfast.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It'll stop looking like a lot of fat, and you'll be finding yourself thing "Oh man, I need more fat!" LOL!

I guess it's just remembering that fat doesn't make you fat. Fat makes you thin.

Today I'm having nothing but bacon, avocado, pork rinds, coffee with coconut milk. Maybe some carrots roasted in coconut oil later. It's a fat day! My body (and my skin!) love these occasionally. It's been a long time since I had one... like 3 months.

The stats seem to be (without carrots) 67% Fat, 26% Protein, and 7% carbs.

Hey if those kinds of ratios help me drop 16% body fat over the next 6-8 months, I'll do it every day! It's just like trying to convince someone riding a a BIG roller coaster for the first time that it's going to be fun, addictive, and give them a healthy dose of several beneficial hormones.

EDIT to note that I'm currently at 36% body fat and would like to get down to a healthy, lean, athletic 20%.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Your percentages are fine. Try not to worry about fat, it's your fuel.

As for coconut pancakes, I find them horrible and disgusting and not worth it. Especially if you have to douse them in maple syrup which is especially bad for a diabetic.

I posted a wicked awesome crepe recipe you should try:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...p?14920-Crepes!!!!!!!!

that can be stuffed with savory fillings, or berry dessert like fillings, which would probably be better than maple syrup.
    Thanks for reposting this lil_earthmomma. I didn't see it the first time you put it out. I am going to try this. It sounds really good!