Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep, and figuring it out. page

cc40 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I have questions about sleep, and the lack of it. It seems that I don't get enough of it, or at least it feels that way a lot of the time. My wife and I are so busy with the family (2 kids), and the stresses of "modern life" seem to keep me from achieving a regular sleep cycle. I try to get to bed at 10pm, and then I wake at 5am. Getting to bed at 10 is not easy to do, as I always find something else that needs to be done at the last minute. Not hobbies or distractions, but house work or family planning for the next day. It seems that I only get a couple nights of "enough" sleep a week.

Diet I can understand, but sleep is a total mystery.

Questions.

1) Can a lack of sleep hinder/stall my weight loss?

2) If I sleep in one weekend morning am I truly catching up or doing more harm than good?

3) How the heck do you set a goal for getting enough sleep?

4) Can lack of sleep affect the benefits of my workouts?

Thanks everyone.

62shelby Guest

Hi, I empathize on sleep, the last three year has been extremely difficult to get quality sleep, and it amuses and annoys me when people say 'you need more sleep'! because if I could I would. sleeping past 5ish has been a challenge for me too.

1. yes apparently lack of sleep can stall weight loss. try taking magnesium to bowel tolerance before bed. ie start with 250-500mg its a natural muscle relaxant and most of us are deficient anyway. also vit d, taking 5000IU can help with sleep as well.

2. sleeping in is good as often as you can do it. for people with adrenal insufficiency its recommended even to sleep in between 7 and 9 as often as possible to aid recovery and healing of adrenals. not suggesting you are, but as an example of why more sleep is good.

3. goal setting has never worked for me in terms of sleep, its too much pressure. so some suggestions would be to try and be as relaxed as possible prior to bed, no tv in bed, lower lights to stimulate melatonin production, (or even take it)try and get to bed the same time each night. its a tough one, and different methods work better for all of us.

4. sleep deprivation can definitely effect the benefits of workouts and even the ability to workout maximally. speaking from experience when my sleep is really bad I feel like I am going backwards in the workout dept, which means its time to back off.

hope that helps and you can get more sleep!

Thanks. I'll look into the magnesium, and I am taking Vit D already. Unfortunately, I am one of those people that cannot take melatonin. It gives me night terrors ... talk about a sleep issue!

62shelby Guest

lol, ya know what you mean, 5-htp has me dreaming of giant rabbits!

Geoff is offline Member

Would your life accomodate a short mid-day nap? The "Power Nap" is highly under-rated. You can get a lot of benefit from even a 20 minute nap in the middle of the day.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Here's a good post on the subject from Byers Gets Diesel:

http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/2009/08/serious-business-of-sleep.html

She goes into the impact of sleep on weight loss and even convinced me that, sometimes, I do myself more good by sleeping in than getting up for my usual 4:30 am workout.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Griff is offline Senior Member

I'll second Geoff on the nap. Whenever I have the opportunity, I try to take a nap for one to two hours in the afternoon. I know it helps because my blood sugars are lower after the nap.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Wox Guest

I agree with 'sleep in' if you can.

Our mind, body & soul repairs itself when we sleep.

Do Not think your being lazy if you sleep in.

BarbeyGirl: Thanks for that link. It lead to some great info and was exactly what I needed to read.

I modified my to do list last night and set the alarm for an hour later. Got 8 hours of sleep. Maybe this will be easier than I thought? It's always cool when you read something that points out that YOU are in YOUR OWN way.

Geoff/Griff: No time for naps during the week. On the weekend, maybe. For now anyway.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Barbey, where did you hear about Byers Gets Diesel?! When I was home in Maine for the summer, I was getting trained/rehabilitated by her affiliate (Dallas Hartwig), who told a load about me and she ended up coming up from NH to meet and chat. Really nice woman! She is STRONG!! Do you keep up with her blog?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast