Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Quick Version: Pack it in, IF, Variations page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

Intrigued by Nick's comments of eating a lot of fat and calories for weight loss, I mentioned on another thread that I was in the middle of trying it out. I kept a VERY detailed diary for myself, weighing very often during the day. That was interesting in and of itself. This is a (relatively) condensed version of that diary.

Anyway, I was stuck +/- 240 pounds, some of this "stuckedness" was due to my new scale being more accurate than the old one. (Darn!) I AM lower in weight than the best with my old scale, but still just seem to be hovering.

My starting point was 239.6 pounds, 34% BF per scale. I ate a 2600 calorie breakfast, 70% fats, IIRC. Ate nothing until noon the next day. I did not feel well most of the afternoon, I don't know if that was due to the total food load, fats, or what. Just groggy and lethargic and grateful there were no demands on me.

The next AM I was at 237.6, 34.6 BF. My waist was the smallest yet, an honest 44". I didn't eat until noon and then, as reported, did my first sprints out at the beach. I ate 716 calories at lunch and about the same at dinner time. I was still low in protein, so did a follow-up dinner, ending the day at 1890 calories, my usual 60% fats.

The next AM I was at 237.0! Woo hoo!

I decided to do one of the "window" IF's the next day, I ate between noon and 6:30, sort of as I wanted. I was at 2000 calories.................and then a rare, couldn't willpower through it case of the munchies. I tried pepperoncini and celery, low cal, low carb, but had to head for my mom's cashews. Ate a 1/2 cup, I'm sure. Calories:2,420, 70% fat.

This AM, up to 237.8. Bummer. Maybe that "window" IF was too long, too much like just eating all day.

Through this, I have not been drinking alcohol except for a few ounces of Couvasier last night and an ULTRA beer two days ago. I'm sure my hydration levels are very consistent, especially come the morning weigh in. Not sure what I will do today, I might sprint at the beach late AM and then pack it in for lunch and IF again.

Not sure what to make of this short term experiment, but will continue this "keep the metabolism confused" mode for at least a few more days.

Tarlach is offline Member

Eat more fat. Eat more calories. Don't eat dairy and don't eat lots of meals each day.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Geoff is offline Member

Do you find that frequent intra-day weighing is helpful for you? I find that my weight fluctuates a lot from one day to the next, so I don't put too much stock in even daily "weigh ins." I just weigh myself once a week which, I find, gives me a better view of my longer-term trend.

Tarlach, come on. I was sick on 2600 calories. How do I eat more? I was at 80% fats that day. Not good enough? Puh-leeze.... I didn't have "meals," in the usual sense of the word for this brief experiment. Where was the dairy (which I know you are phobic about. Jus' saying.)

Geoff, this has been hammered to death here, I think. If the scale is very good, very consistent why not? Of course weight fluctuates. Why not find out why? Why not sooner rather than later? I, too, have long term trends.....with plenty of interim data points. Bottom line, there is no right or wrong. And I have learned SO much about physiology and my body by doing so.

I went to the beach and did sprints, then walked some 2.7 miles. Ate 1050 calories starting at about 12:30PM, that's an 18 hour IF except for those damned late night nuts. So, how do I get another 1000 calories in? Wait until the satiation subsides and then repeat? Or, can I wait until maybe 6PM and repeat? Or, just do grazing until a couple of hours before bed like Grok might have done, finding bugs and berries?

This IF thing is pretty new to me if you don't already know it. And, I'm at only 78 grams of protein, my daily aim is 120.

Geoff is offline Member

OtB - no offense meant, man. I'm still a relative "noob" here and didn't know the topic had been hit on. If it works for you, it's cool. I've just never been able to figure out what causes my day to day ups and downs (unless it's glaringly obvious).

Sure, Geoff, it's a thing about all forums. Some topics keep coming up again and again. I should just be more tolerant. Sorry if I tweaked your nose.

Weighing daily and consistent is pretty simple. Be well hydrated when you go to bed. Don't have (much) alcohol, that will throw everything off. Eliminate whatever excess bodily discards you have in the AM. Head for the scale. Weigh naked or underwear, but always the same. Your body will stabilize your cellular water level overnight and give you a consistent base to work from.

Scale accuracy and consistency is a whole 'nudder issue, of course. And the accuracy is less important than the consistency. Step on and off a few times, does the indicated weight change not at all, hardly ever, or "It's a crap shoot?" I finally scored a good scale, very consistent and about as accurate as a bathroom will be, I think.

Update: Down to 236 this AM, a new low. I did drink a "healthy" dose of red wine last night..... Also indulged in a few chocolates late at night. I don't think I've ever done that.

I think today I will do a day as I used to: Three meals, some snacking, keep the cals down. Keep tricking the old Primal Bod.....

klcarbaugh Guest

Maybe for some men the daily weigh in thing works, but women go up and down two pounds every day!

I would say eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Why, Tarlach, are you saying to force feed?

TheNomad is offline Junior Member

I think klcarbaugh is right: Eat until you rwach satiety, stop counting calories and eat lots of (mostly saturated) fats. In the long term, this will help you to build lean mass and drop body fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast