Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Cold page

seaclam is offline Senior Member

Primal Cold

Primal Fuel
    What do you guys do for a bad cold? Congestion, fever, cough etc. Are any meds better than others? Can I use CW over the counter meds? Not feeling to perky right now.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I take the standard OTC meds, plus Mucinex (guafensin) to keep it from settling in my chest and turning into bronchitis.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Green tea with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and lots of cayenne pepper. I have a scratchy throat right now and a mild cough right now. I sip this tea throughout the day, and can expect the cold to be over by tonight. Also, extra Vitamin D to give your immune system a boost

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Tea with raw honey, gargling warm water with sea salt, jala neti, steam, spicy soups.

And if all else fails, yes I will take the OTC stuff.

Oh yeah, and lots and lots of sleep.
    Last edited by theholla; 01-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

tarek is offline Senior Member
    When you wake up and and one hour before bed, eat between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of RAW, organic honey. You're sick; don't worry about the carbohydrate content.

Drink a cup of ginger tea with breakfast and with dinner. Make meals with garlic and onions.

I've found that eating small amounts of raw butter helps, but skip this if you don't handle dairy well. As theholla said, get lots of sleep; it wouldn't hurt to sleep for 10-12 hours and take a daily nap. Go for walks out in nature and get plenty of sunshine. Supplement with vitamin D if this isn't possible.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsToon View Post
    Green tea with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and lots of cayenne pepper. I have a scratchy throat right now and a mild cough right now. I sip this tea throughout the day, and can expect the cold to be over by tonight. Also, extra Vitamin D to give your immune system a boost
    +1 except I use cinnamon instead of cayenne and I also add orange peel to the tea to help dry up phlegm. I make chicken soup and add cinnamon to it also. Lots of D. As for supplements, I now go straight to my Chinese doc and she gives me formulas specific to my symptoms/pattern (there are different kinds of colds) and I swear I've never failed to get well in less than half the time of everyone else around me.

PS- since I started taking colostrum daily, I haven't been sick at all since before Thanksgiving, despite all manner of nastiness going around. I haven't even felt close to getting sick. Colostrum is also great for repairing the gut lining.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Homemade broth and a neti pot (not together!) are my cold/flu saviors. I wash my sinuses with a sea salt solution (the same concentration I use to soak my piercings, so I could mix it up in my sleep), and make lots of soup. Shredded cabbage makes a good soup veggie, as does kale. I also add ginger and garlic. I like to crush a clove of garlic and add it raw to the bowl, and then just pour hot soup over it instead of simmering the garlic in the soup.

Garlic is anti-microbial, so it's really helpful for people with colds and flus.

Tarek, I take my honey before bed, so that I don't wake up coughing, too. I agree it's one of the best remedies. Next year, I'll get my act together and make a batch of garlic honey before cold season starts.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    40,000 IUs vitamin D3 gel caps for 2-3 days.
    Dragonfly is correct. Then after 3 days reduce the dosage to 10,000 IU Daily.

However the reason you got your cold in the first place is that you were very likely Vitamin D3 deficient. You should be taking 10,000 IU Daily, then test your blood for optimal D3 levels to be 60-70 ng/ml.

Your immune system does not function properly without optimal D3 levels in your blood. See this link for details:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/z028357_v...eficiency.html
    This link takes 30 seconds to load, is the original research report:
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-vdc030410.php

Much more on Vitamin D3 in my research below:
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-16-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast