Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cucumbers from the garden page

Wox Guest

Primal Fuel

Are cucumbers primal? I have gallons of them. Any ideas I have only ate them raw.

The garden is running over with them!

grandma is offline Member

I don't know a reason to say no to cucumbers. I have never had a cooked one. I like them as a "fresh pickle" just sliced cucs with red wine vinegar. You can make them 100 different ways, add any spice you like; garlic, onion, herbs it's hard to go wrong. As far as traditional pickles go, my favorite were always bread and butter pickles, but the tend to be pretty sweet. I'm sure you could leave the sugar out and just do an onion and cuc pickle, that has to be good. I've not done pickles in awhile --- no particular reason.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Wox Guest

I have never done pickles, not to say I wouldn't give it a try. I searched MDA for cucumbers but it's kinda all mixed around. I didn't see anything about cooking with them. I should google it.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Low carb, satiating. One of my faves.

maba is offline Senior Member

You can make cucumber juice, puree it in a blender with some ice cubes, very refreshing. Add salt & pepper to taste. You can make lacto-fermented cucumber pickles. One of my favorite salads is chopped cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilanto, S&P all mixed together topped w/ grated coconut.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Oooh, maba -- that cucumber salad sounds delicious. Must try that. Thanks!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

maba, I'm interested in making lacto-fermented cucumber pickles. I have quite a bit of whey left over from making cheese. Do you have any recipes?

Wox Guest

So i did some searching to see if people cook cucumbers and I guess they do.

Sear on high heat and cream or olive oil. Another way is to 'bread' them and fry.

What would I use for the 'breaded' part?

I did see that cucumbers are good with fish. Yay because I have gallons of them.

Thanks for your input.

Wox Guest

Add* cream or olive oil

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

CC69, check out the recipe in the following link. There are some other lacto-fermented recipes too. I made cordito and beet kvass yesterday.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/?p=1883

How do you make cheese? I have a bottle of milk that has been sitting on the counter for close to 2 weeks. It's separated into curds and whey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast