Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other college-age primals? page

dormroomprimal Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey all! I was wondering if there are any other primals out there currently living at college/university. How do you guys get along when eating in a cafeteria? The good side is that you have options...so you're not at the mercy of whatever mom decides to cook for dinner. However, it also means desserts, bagels, cereals, etc are prominently offered....and the selection of veggies/fruits/meats may be limited. I've been worried I'm not eating enough of the right vegetables since the ones that my cafeteria serves are often legumes, starchy potatoes, nightshades, etc. However I guess that's just an unfortunate reality.

Also, anyone have any primal snacks they keep in the dorm room? Right now I keep a jar of mixed nuts handy and I keep fruit from the dining hall in my room for snacking later, but I would love to expand my options.

Max L Guest

I'm a Junior at UC Davis. It isn't easy in a cafeteria but it can be done. At our Dining Commons my fall back was always the Tuna Salad or Egg Salad at the Salad Bar. I check the ingredients and they were pretty much Primal (I'm sure the mayo was optimal). Usually there was spinach at my salad bar with some cucumbers and broccoli so that was easy enough. Breakfast could be done with some hardboiled eggs and a piece of fruit, which may get old. Lunch can be tricky because it usually ended up as some grain based meal so I had to hit the salad bar. Dinner usually had a grilled or baked piece of meat and I would just ask for no sauce or mashed potatoes. In your room...may be challenging. If you can find a decent primal jerky then all the better. There was once small kitchen for 3 of our dorm building so we could hardboil some eggs and leave them in our fridge if we wanted. If you can find the menu ahead of time online for the dining hall, then I'd maybe suggest toying with intermittent fasting on meals that may seem impossible to get around.

If you have no opportunity to buy decent food...family loves sending care packages. Ask for some canned salmon, dehydrated fruit, and some more nuts. When you get an apartment life becomes easier.

good luck

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

I was primal last year at marquette when I had to eat in a cafeteria and the best advice i can give is to stick to the salad bar.

Also, I stocked my room with canned fish and nuts. Sometimes I would load of a plate of salad/spinach and vegetables to bring up to my room in baggies. It's tough but much better than packing on the pounds through pizza and ramen noodles.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Wow, that sounds really tough. I just imagined how hard it would be to be primal in the army.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I'm in college, but I commute and have no desire whatsoever to live in a dorm lol

It doesn't really affect my primal lifestyle.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

klcarbaugh Guest

I am a college freshman, and I have a 120 meal plan which is less than all of my friends because I have a soy allergy and stuff in our cafeteria is not properly labeled... I haven&#39;t actually set foot in a cafeteria yet because I was just "granted" this option last week. The school wouldn&#39;t take me off the meal plan because there are no on-campus apartments (with kitchens) available at the moment. I will probably switch into one next semester.

So, for food in my little room, I have been eating canned salmon and hard boiled eggs, etc. We have a kitchen in my dorm, so I take all my pans and stuff down there and make bacon and sausage and ground beef patties... delicious!

Lol. This SECOND, my roommate is talking about going vegetarian behind me with one of her friends. I tried to explain how that wasn&#39;t good for the earth or her body, but of course nobody listens. About five of my good friends are "veggie".

Jess (also college student on this forum)apparently just takes chicken sandwiches from the cafeteria, etc. and trows away the buns. Hopefully she&#39;ll chime in.

Jess?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

To be honest, it amazes me how the whole state college system works. So you make a decision to spend the next 4 years of your life bettering yourself and becoming a "better citizen". Hopefully, you get lucky and you end up getting some government help to pay for the outrageous tuition. If not then get ready to also commit yourself to some crazy after-college loan repayments. Then, you end up living with bunch of kids that you never met before in a little tiny room and you better pray they&#39;re not some weirdoes that secretly stare at you at night with a butcher knife in their hand. Then, on top of that all, they don&#39;t offer any decent meal options or ways for you to cook your own meal so whether you have allergies or just trying to eat a little bit more healthy, you&#39;re pretty much screwed.

I tell ya, it&#39;s worse than high school. But maybe it&#39;s just me.

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Man, don&#39;t stress about it so much. Thankfully when I lived in the dorms I wasn&#39;t primal, so I didn&#39;t have to obsess as much, but it can be done. Hit up the salad bar, and then get some meat from the meat line. Done. Bring your own olive oil or coconut oil to dress you salad with.

There was a kitchen in my dorm, one that was used for all the floors, but no one really used it so it was always free. There&#39;s no stove in your dorm?

High school is much worse. And if you can&#39;t eat 100% paleo, or even 70%, just chill until you get your own place. Those few years will not hurt you in the long run. No point in obsessing over things out of your control.

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Also, your roommates will think you are crazy, but there&#39;s always the option of ordering a bucket of beef tallow from U.S. Wellness meats and keeping it in your closet. Buy a couple mason jars to spoon out what you&#39;ll use for the week and keep the rest in its original container. Fat is extremely filling, perhaps the most nutritional food there is, and is extremely stable.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I&#39;m a senior in college and I live off-campus, but I do sometimes have to resort to the cafeteria in between classes. And now that I&#39;m primal, or at least avoiding gluten as much as possible when I eat out, the only option is...the salad bar. I guess I could get a burger without a bun? Otherwise there&#39;s not much for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast