Thread: Whats your take on Isometrics and Plyometrics? page

GrainsScareMe is offline Junior Member

Whats your take on Isometrics and Plyometrics?

Primal Fuel
    I do various kinds of body weight exercises along with plenty of low aerobic activity and sprints. Besides this im planning on incorporating plyometrics and isometrics. The question i have is whats your take on plyometrics and isometrics? Do plyometrics really increase power to an extent that's worth the training, and are isometrics efficient and safe to perform daily?
    Last edited by GrainsScareMe; 01-14-2011 at 05:54 PM.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Speaking as a 53 year old woman...plyometrics is amazing, but I definitely can NOT do it daily. By its very nature there's a lot of stress on the joints, and a little goes a long way. Whenever possible, do plyometric exercises with lots of padding. Vertical jumps and explosive push-ups, for example.

Isometrics, on the other hand, can be done whenever you feel like it. Yes, definitely worth it for injury prevention. If I start slacking off on doing planks on a daily basis, my core strength and stability suffers.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Both are great, do both. dragonmamma covered why already.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Plyo totally rocks! My legs get fiercely cut when I devote one training session/week to a lower body plyo. I do yoga which incorporates isometrics. I find yoga very calming and very good for core/upper body.

JBGrokerty is offline Member
    I get my plyometrics by PLAYING! Plyo is just sudden movement. Jumping, springing, throwing, sprinting, etc.

For me, Plyo "training" would ruin it. Instead, I go with racquet sports, tossing a few hoops in the driveway with my kids, throwing the frisbee to my dog, jumping on the trampoline or off the diving board, skipping and sprinting just for the shear joy of it... I did all of these things before I even heard of "Primal", but they've always worked well.

Just a quick quibble with the commenter who said that plyo is hard on the joints: no, it's not. Or at least, it should not be. If you are maintaining strength and fitness in the supporting muscles and soft tissues around those joints, then plyo should actually protect the joints, not stress them. I've had a total knee re-build (injury from my teens) with zero remaining cartilege in the joint, and I can still do plyo because I keep my quads and hams in good shape to absorb the impact before it gets to the joint.

Oh, and VFFs make plyo a breeze, and tons tons tons more fun because your feet feel free, and you can literally feel the metatarsal complex absorbing the impact of your foot-strike instead of jarring your heel/ankle/knee/hip/SI.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Isometrics? Go read some of Coach Sommer's essays (he's a fantastic gymnastics coach, one of the best; has a book Building the Gymnastic Body) about various isometric holds.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I purchased INSANITY last year and its all about plyo and just movement and it's great, I love it. I incorporate it in my run/walk days. After a few minutes I'll stop and so some plyo jumps till I can't do anymore and then continue and then stop and do more! It gets the heart rate up that's for sure.
    Health is Wealth!