Thread: What to look for in Protien drink mixes? page

What to look for in Protien drink mixes?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys, new to the PB diet...been on it a little over a week so far (And dropped about 3 lbs). Having to deal with some pretty bad carb flu and caffiene withdrawals as I've been a habitual drinker of diet sodas for many MANY years and I pretty much went cold turkey on both. Anyhow, Mark mentions in the PB book a few times about protein drinks, but I've not seen him mention anything specifically to watch out for in them (Or maybe I've not gotten to it yet, not finished the book completely).

So my question is, besides the typical hydrogenated oils, wheat/grain contents, etc, anything else specific I need to watch for? I would definitely be mixing with water instead of milk. Are there any off-the-shelf brands that are suitable from a chain grocery store or do I need something a little bit more specifically tailored?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Avoid soy protein. If you're going to buy whey protein, make sure it's high-quality whey protein concentrate; whey is a very fragile protein, and commercial processing almost guarantees poor quality. Better, less expensive options would be egg white protein, brown rice protein, pea protein, and hemp protein. A few companies manufacture things like goat's milk protein and sprouted grain protein, but they can be pricey.

Look out for artificial sweeteners and preservatives/unnecessary additives in protein powders. The smaller the ingredient list, the better.

Protein powders are great for post-workout meals. Go for real food in most other situations.

jlmccracken is offline Member
    I would say that you should look for pure whey protein isolate as opposed to concentrate; it is actually the higher quality protein. Bi-Pro USA makes a fantastic pure whey protein isolate with nothing else in it. You can literally mix it in anything and have no idea that it's there, no joke. It is completely tasteless and does not clump, get chalky, or grainy in anything. However, it is kind of expensive. The last time I looked it was $29.99 for 2 lbs. Agreeing with Tarek, the smaller the list the better. If you go to hammernutrition.com, you can find a very high quality of whey protein isolate, unflavored, as well. It's not the greatest tasting stuff, but I've had worse.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest avoiding Isolate as it removes normal(helpful) whey cultures from the mix
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for the replies. Got a good idea of what I need to look for now!

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    I got some Jay Robb Egg Whey Protein powder when I went shopping Friday, but since I started really concentrating on the food I make, I haven't needed it. Maybe if you are falling short on your protein each day, have some, but certainly won't need it as a meal replacement.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Watch out for things like fructose. I bought two flavors of whey protein a few years back (Whole Paycheck store brand) and checked one label carefully but not the other. The chocolate had fructose in it. I absolutely couldn't drink the fructose one. It put me on a blood sugar roller coaster. Jay Robb is a pretty good brand. Never thought I'd wean myself off of the smoothies I've had every morning for 16 + years but primal has helped me accomplish that. I may have a whey smoothie occasionally and I use a small whey smoothie with my daughter each morning as a way to get her probiotics, fish oil and vit. D down the hatch.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl