Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First week and annoyed with myself! page

Tinsel is offline Junior Member

First week and annoyed with myself!

Shop Now
    Bought the PB book last week, devoured it (it's primal, right ) in a day, started eating primal (not paleo...I'm allowing full fat cheese and cream in moderation) last sunday. Felt great the first 2 days, had a bad night the 3rd day (carbs, sugar, carbs carbs ugh) which made me feel like HELL wednesday morning. Wednesday & thursday I did great again, today I suck.

Is this normal? Why can't I get past a third straight day? I'm also having trouble getting to the minimum of 50g carbs (I had wanted to stay between 50-100, I figured that would be 'easier' for a carbaholic like me). Here's a link to my blog for what I've been eating - http://primal-me.blogspot.com/

Thanks for listening to me vent, and for any advice you might have!

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    It took me a year to quit smoking...give yourself time. I believe carbohydrates do some whacky things to the body and brain and you are just going to have to suffer through it until everything goes back to the way it is supposed to be.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Tinsel - I'm pretty new to Primal myself, although I've been low-carbing it in a modified Primal way for almost a year. I have a few tidbits based upon what I've ready from some of the more senior members on other threads.

One word of advice I've seen offered repeatedly is that when you have those carb cravings, eat some fat instead. See if that will squealch it.

After reading your food diary, if it were me, I would cut back on the almond butter and find a different snack food. I can't get too crazy with nuts or nut butters or I'll have more cravings, and I also have stalled weightloss.

One question...why on earth are you tracking WW points? If it were me, that would make me completely crazy. I'm a WW veteran, and I've completely ditched WW for this new way of eating that has completely transformed my relationship with food in the past year.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you want to up your carbs, do it with Primal starches like sweet potatoes, yams, beets, WHITE rice, potatoes (go easy on the last two). Most tubers and root vegetables you'll find at the market are good, and there are than I can enumerate so just have fun. Just a guess, but the low calorie count may be contributing to your binges. Round your meals out with vegetables -- not caloric in themselves unless starchy, but cook them in oil and you're good to go. Plus, they are so good with butter. I try to eat a big mound of veggies every dinner, sometimes breakfast too, and lunch is Mark's Big Assed Salad. You don't have to emulate my intake, but they're good for vitamins and minerals as well as being carriers for good, yummy fat.

You should also stop paying attention to the scale, and instead to your clothes like you did on your last blog post. Just a minor quibble, but weighing yourself every day is likely to drive you nuts.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    There are some good suggestions above. Eat more fat, fill up with more veggies cooked in oil. Sometimes when I am feeling bored about what's for dinner and start thinking about carby junk or just very bad non-paleo foods, I get something "more exciting" for dinner and it can help. If I was planning fish but am thinking about junk, I get a steak and some asparagus instead because that's something I LOVE. Or I have bacon and brag on facebook to my non-paleo friends how much I love this diet. I remind myself how great this way of eating really is and how good it makes me feel.

At this point just try to relax a bit. Or a lot. This is brand new, and you're basically kicking an addiction, so don't be hard so on yourself. Don't see a single incident as a big deal, just get back on the horse and keep going. Don't get discouraged! Stop counting WW points, stop stepping on the scale every day. Make this about your health and once you've got a bit more control over your habits start to tweak more for weight loss.

All that aside, personally, almost nothing squelches my cravings for sweets. It doesn't matter if I've just had a big meal with plenty of fat, if I want something sweet and there's something sweet in the house then I eat it. Or if I'm at the store I'll buy it. That's why I allow myself fruit, I feel like it's the lesser evil. Maybe what I want is a carton of ice cream, or candy, so I buy a bunch of grapes and berries and I devour them instead. I'd like to make this happen less frequently, but I've still lost weight and feel much better than I did pre-paleo, so if I never stop eating fruit, I'll be ok with it. A few months in it gets A LOT easier. I thought I'd never get over pizza, but I have. I think it keeps getting easier the longer you do it. Like you'll wake up one day and realize you haven't have pancakes or spaghetti in months...and you won't even miss them.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    It's normal. There is nothing wrong with you.

Hang in there, you will be fine. <3

piggeh is offline Junior Member
    I started this primal thing in new year but found myself falling off the wagon on Thursday night with a bottle of wine and rice in the dinner (not a big sin I guess). I've decided I need to plan things out properly, especially on the exercise front, so giving myself a few days without worrying too much and then get going again on Monday.

8am on a Saturday here in the UK - having an early start to sort out bits in prep for next week. Calender buying, working out fitness plan, sort passport (not primal but still )

My big problem is finding inspiration on lunch & dinner ideas. I have a steak in the fridge, with veg (mushrooms, broccolli, carrots, cauliflower) but I've had the same thing twice this year already and it's a bit bland! Just no imagination in the kitchen as to what to do makes it difficult to stick to. Havent figured what to do on lunches yet, thinking a soup and salad maybe..

Schneider is offline Member
    Take a look at the cookbook created by the readers or the recipes that Mark publish once in a while. You will have plenty of inspiration, trust me !

Take a look over there : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...print-recipes/

But so far, this one is my favorite and it keep well in the freezer: Spicy Chicken and Bacon Poppers

Oh nom nom nom ..

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Some of your lunches seem low in protein. And like some else said, if you are craving carbs up the fat. Are you fully committed to a primal lifestyle? Just wondering since you are sort of still doing WW. I think many of us are so wedded to CW thinking, like the faulty premise that fat is bad, that we don't totally commit to primal. It is a mental adjustment. It took me awhile to get over the fat thing mentally. Physically, it took awhile too. I think my gall bladder was in shock. I think it does take some of our bodies awhile to start burning fat more for energy when they have been used to carbs.

When I have started a low carb regimen. I always have the most trouble with low carb flu on the third day. I wonder if your body starts to withdraw and then starts screaming for carbs. Like someone else said, you can use better carbs like sweet potatoes and even a little white rice to wean yourself off of carbs and get through the transitional phase.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Tinsel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, everyone! I'll try to address things in order - I'll keep an eye on the almond butter! I really don't crave it or use it as a carb-craving replacement, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. I'm keeping WW points just as a matter of curiousity. I'm not *sticking to WW or anything, as far as points go, but it's been very crazy to see some of the meals, what the calories are and what the points are. Like, thursday was ~1300 calories, but would have been 32 points which is madness! I'm a former WW Lifetime person so, for ME, it's interesting. But, no, I'm not keeping in a point range or anything like that.

Same with the scale really. I've always been a daily weigher not for any specific reason, but I like it. It doesn't make me mental to see it go up or down, generally if it's up I go 'hmmm...oh yes, I had a lot of salt yesterday/did a hard workout so I'm a bit bloated/ah PMS/whatever'. I definitely go by my how my clothes fit/how I FEEL for my success markers

piggeh - Looking at it this morning I think a lot of my issue is similar to yours! Just kind of floundering around trying to figure out what I can eat, which is a total 180 from the CW of our entire lives, you know? I need better planning, I'm so used to ultra-convenient things like a breakfast bar or a bowl of cereal or something similar. Like, yesterday morning I was really busy and totally spaced breakfast. Ended up just having a half an avocado because it was there, fast, and easy. Maybe I should keep some full-fat greek yogurt around for those times?

I'll definitely play with the protein/fat ratios, more veggies in butter or lard as well

Thanks again, everyone! I guess I just need to 'Let go, and Let Grok'??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast