Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Primal Salad page

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

First Primal Salad

Shop Now
    I'm still in my first PB week (just got my books yesterday, hooray!), and hubby got paid today so I went and got some groceries. Did I do good on my lunch today?

key west orange shrimp salad

organic baby greens, wild caught key west shrimp, 2 oranges (1 served for zesting & juicing for a dressing, the other is wedges in the salad), some walnuts, crumbled feta, and the dressing (made of the juice, EVOO, vinegar, pepper, and a little maple syrup). Finished with the zest.

I think I did a good job. The non-primal 2yo is smacking her lips at me wanting some. I told her to go away, this was mommy's lunch. She already had hers. :P

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    obviously, she wants to go primal too.

but it is tough. my kid eats his meal (primal) and then wants to eat mine (also primal) and i ahve to be all like "no!"

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Oranges are high on the glycemic index, causing a rapid spike of insulin in the blood. Oranges are also high in fructose (think High Fructose Corn Syrup) which is not taken into account by the glycemic index. Depending on the size of the oranges, you could be looking at 30-50+ carbs just for that alone before taking into account the maple syrup and carbs accumulated throughout the day from typical primal approved vegetables and fruits. Keep in mind the oranges of Grok's day were likely small, sour fruits with a higher vitamin and mineral content than today's over-bred industrialized version.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I think you did a great job, Dr. Bork Bork.

Only thing I would add is fat, and a lot of it. Half an avocado, perhaps on the side if it clashes with what you've got going flavor-wise in the salad.

The protein and fat will mediate much of the insulin uptick of the fruit and a bit of maple syrup.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    That looks great, except that it is a good meal for someone on a low fat diet. You are NOT on a low fat diet. You need to try and get fat into your diet anyway possible. So how about some fatty meat such as rib eye on top, dress it with oils and put avocado and maybe pour some bacon grease on top. (bacon makes everything better)

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Well, her salad had walnuts, feta cheese, and olive oil in the dressing, so it was hardly low-fat, though there might be room for more.

The salad was delicious and very satisfying. The whole salad was only 20g carb, 20 fat, and 25 protein. I topped off the day at 37 carbs.

I will probably have the salad again today. The greens need to be used up.

I supplement by eating plenty of coconut oil, butter, and coconut milk. Those are fatty enough, right?

Thanks for all of your advice and input.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Well, you should be eating plenty of fatty (or at least non-lean) meat as part of your diet too, not just stuff like shrimp. But the salad sounds tasty. Have you tried sardines packed in olive oil? I like the skinless boneless ones which isn't as hard core as some folks here, but they're really good and fabulous for you.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    That sounds delicious. I used to make a salad with shrimp, citrus, avocado, and romaine that was amazingly good, but yeah, could use more fat. Nowadays, I'd probably saute the shrimp in butter and maybe even top the whole salad with a runny fried/poached egg.

I've discovered that duck fat will melt at room temperature, so I can use it to make salad dressing instead of resorting to vegetable fats. Salad with duck fat vinaigrette is awesome. Too bad I'm almost through my jar of fat that I rendered from my Christmas duck...

I ended up nixing the orange & sauce today, and sauteed the shrimp in coconut oil & coconut butter. The liquid left behind made a very runny mayo-like sauce that I drizzled over my salad. I'm liking it even better than the orange key west shrimp!

Haven't had much trouble reaching at least 50% fat on a daily basis the last week, with 30-40% protein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast