Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal groceries in a house with food allergies! page

putmama is offline Junior Member

Primal groceries in a house with food allergies!

Primal Fuel
    My son (6 y.o) is allergic to tree nuts and eggs. (He's also allergic to soy and peanuts, but that's okay!)

He is not allergic to wheat or dairy, so that's a lot of what he eats. He's like every other SAD kid - he likes the junkier foods and stays farther from meats and veggies. He likes fruit okay.

It's a challenge to say the least. Does anyone else have food allergies to work around?

Wow, I'm the only primal eater to contend with food allergies in my household?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Well, the thing I had to avoid was wheat...so my "allergy" doesn't really figure into this one.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

stewie97 is offline Member
    There are a lot of primal options that are not eggs and nuts....meats, green veggies, fruit? Your kid is only 6, shouldn't he be eating what you feed him?

I am not a parent, but I have always been confused about parents who say their kid loves junk food. It's not like he went out and bought the little debbies himself. A parent had to put them in the cupboard. Why is it hard to replace the junk with a good variety of fruits and veggies?

It's true. He eats what I bring into the house. But it's hard to make the switch. It's hard for many adults to make the switch, so it's also difficult to try to explain to our 6 y.o. that "I know it WAS once something we used to eat, but it's really not very good for us anymore." That's a hard concept for him. Why was it okay last week? Last month? No one died or got sick.
    It's also very difficult when we are outside of our little home bubble, involved with other households or activities. School, extended family, social functions. Food is everywhere and it's mainly SAD, as we all know.
    Nuts accomodate the "breads/muffins/cookies/bars" with nut flours and eggs would be a great option for a breakfast food, but he cannot have those.
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around limiting his entire food intake to meat, veggies and fruit and figuring out a way to prep these things for other times outside of our kitchen, without being able to rely on the "primal recipes" that include nuts and eggs.

Trust me, I don't feed him crap in a can or easy mac or anything - far from it! But he eats a lot of grains from varying sources.
    Last edited by putmama; 01-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.

stewie97 is offline Member
    The way I wrapped my brain around it was realizing a non-primal diet is pretty much garbage. You wouldn't feed you kid garbage, would you?

I'm certain if you have stuck with the primal lifestyle for any length of time you realize how huge of a difference it makes in how you feel about yourself. How your energy levels have improved drastically, annoying little things have all but disappeared simply by not eating this garbage. It can't be that hard to wrap your brain around feeding your kid some meat/veggies/fruit for breakfast. Not with all the benefits that come from not feeding him sad.

SAD food may be everywhere, but it is your duty as a parent to protect your child from this, plain and simple. Pack a lunch, carry an extra snack in your purse, just plan and simple plan ahead.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    You'll get a lot more responses eventually... a lot of peeps just pop in here once a day or once a week, so it may just take a bit for it to pick up.

You can also use the search function on this forum for "kids, children, allergies" and you'll come up with a ton of material. I think there's probably been at least 50 threads dealing with kids and food and some with allergies in the past couple of months.

My kids are older, but when I used to explain things to them (why can't I, why whatever), I'd tell them "I'm telling you why so you know my reason. I'm NOT telling you why so you can argue with me about it. " Arguing would always result in an immediate time out or time in the room, or whatever. They learned pretty quick not to argue about it, and still I got to let them know why I'd decided something. A little kid can understand "We used to eat this but mommy has been learning about food and what's healthy and I can't give you food that's going to keep you from being big and strong." They may not LIKE it, but they can understand it.

And, as I mentioned on another thread this morning, you can make yummy meals for him that he likes and slowly remove the bad stuff as well. Mockafoni and cheese (which uses cauliflower instead of pasta) is super good and very mac n cheeselike, chicken strips rolled in coconut flour or shredded coconut, sweet potato fries, sunflower & sesame seed crackers, dehydrated veggies for chips... there are things you can do to "replace" some of the bad stuff while you're making the transition.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    with new friends / social situations, you could bend the truth a little and just explain away your "weirdness" as "allergy issues". Old friends might query why he *used* to be fine on grains, but really, allergies can come and go........

I understand what you're saying, I do. I guess he'll just starve until he eats the meat/veggies/fruit. And I'll deal with the confusion over why we won't give him biscuits or whatever.

It's a trust issue, with him. He already knows that he can't trust to eat what other people give him (because he knows about his allergies to eggs/nuts, peanuts, soy and grapes) but now we're going to shake it up and tell him he can't have all of the stuff we've given him that WAS deemed safe.
    It's hard, it just is.

My husband went paleo on a 30 day challenge and lost 25 pounds, it was amazing. But he stopped when he lost his job and it's been hard to put the "right" foods out.
    He's employed again now, and I've kicked off my own primal challenge this past Monday. I do know what is good and what's not. But fo rme, it's weight loss and toning. My little bird of a son needs all the food he can take in!
    So it's not exactly cut and dry, which is why I came here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Minxxa and NorthernMonkeyGirl. Those are very, very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast