Thread: IF experts: fast during injury recovery? page

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

IF experts: fast during injury recovery?

I'm 5 days into recovery from some major soft tissue damage (equestrian accident. owie.).

Normally, I IF 16-20 hours per day, but I'm wondering if this is a bad idea when my body is trying to repair itself. I typically consider IF icing on the paleo cake when everything else is, as Robb Wolf would say, "dialed in." On the other hand, I want to keep my bodyfat low throughout my recovery.

My primary goals at the moment are: 1) quickest possible healing and 2) maintenance of muscle mass and leanness during layoff.

Thoughts?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's a bad idea and it may actually help your body recover more quickly. Digestion does take up some of your body's resources. The hours that your body doesn't have food in your stomach should be hours that healing is happening faster.
    As long as you're getting enough protein you shouldn't lose too much mass. Not working out for long enough will result in some muscle loss in any case though. (muscle is kind of a use it or lose it kind of thing)

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I tried fasting the first three days after a recent ankle injury to minimize the swelling. I actually ended up eating more. The magic number for me was is 14 hours, so i would be Famished by the end of a fast. It tapered off after a couple of days, and the fast wasn't as brutal.

My recovery has been stellar, and I am sure fasting and clean eating has been helpful.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    This would be a time to learn to listen deeply to your body and let it tell you what it needs. I didn't have much of an appetite during my recovery, but I craved lots and lots of tea. You will need extra fluids to keep the tissue debris flowing through your kidneys. Also don't be afraid of a little salt to go with it.

Up your food intake of vitamin C if you can. Eat to appetite.

PWG

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I've been IFing with a torn ligament. I think as long as you get enough protein and nutrients you should be fine. Growth hormone seems to be increased with IFing so it presumably would be good.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, guys. I'm kinda going with the flow, which seems to lead me toward shorter (16 hour) fasts and lots of nutrients consumed during a longer eating window. I'm going with high protein, moderate fat, very low carb - all veggies (as opposed to my usual high fat, moderate protein, low carb - mostly veggies) to maximize nutrition while decreasing energy (calorie) intake. I won't worry about the fasts.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid