Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and being cold page

katydid317 is offline Senior Member

IF and being cold

Primal Fuel
    So I've been doing IF for a week now, fasting through the day and eating between 5-10pm. I've also been doing very low carb, was trying to cut out fruit completely but slipped up and had 2 days where I ate a bunch of fruit as well. The thing is, I feel cold all the time. Or if I'm not cold everywhere, my hands are still freezing. It is winter so yeah, it's cold out, but I do bundle up and I'm tired of being cold so often. I've read that it's normal to be cold at certain points during a fast, but is it normal to feel cold so much? And does it get better once your body adjusts to fasting and being in ketosis?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    The reason that your extremities feel cold is that when you're IFing more blood is redirected to your fat reserves (no offense intended) to mobilize the stored energy that you need to fuel your body. You might notice that places where you have stored fat will actually feel warmer as they happen to have more blood that usual flowing through them.
    My advice, dress warm and feel warmed by the knowledge that your body is doing something good.

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. I guess I'm going to wait until summer to IF. I'm way too cold as it is! :P

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaleochild View Post
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. I guess I'm going to wait until summer to IF. I'm way too cold as it is! :P
    Well Katy is doing a longer fast than others. I only wait until around 1pm to eat Monday through Friday (I like waiting an hour after 80% of people have gone on break so I eat in peace) and though I used to feel cold I don’t as much anymore, but I attribute that not to getting used to fasting but to the heat that’s pumping into the office.

During summer months I actually felt colder because the AC was uncomfortably high and everybody in general was freezing.

If you want to try fasting, Paleochild, you can just skip breakfast and eat later than usual. You don’t have to do this daily like some of us, but it fits my lifestyle and work schedule. I’d rather spend my time before work cooking lunch than fixing breakfast.

Some skip dinner, some skip lunch. I find skipping breakfast the easiest of all given my circumstances.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    The reason that your extremities feel cold is that when you're IFing more blood is redirected to your fat reserves (no offense intended) to mobilize the stored energy that you need to fuel your body. You might notice that places where you have stored fat will actually feel warmer as they happen to have more blood that usual flowing through them.
    My advice, dress warm and feel warmed by the knowledge that your body is doing something good.
    Does that ever change though? Or am I going to have to wear mittens in the house til summer?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    This is the only issue I have with IF. I work in construction, so if I am moving/labouring then all is well. If I am just sitting or standing about I can feel very cold!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid317 View Post
    Does that ever change though? Or am I going to have to wear mittens in the house til summer?
    I don’t think it ever “gets better” since the process that Daemonized described is going to keep on happening. However, you can experiment by giving it more time (2 more weeks for instance) then switch to eating a little earlier for another 2 weeks and see what happens.

There’s some debate regarding the length of fasts, some people think the longer you fast the better for fat loss (makes sense following what D said) but there’s also the camp that states anything past 16hrs won’t make much of a difference (as in, 16hrs, 24hrs, same results)

I don’t particularly subscribe to either, it just fits my lifestyle to only fast around 16hrs, eat at 1, then again around 7 or so and that’s it for me. Rinse and repeat. It only changes on weekends where I usually do have breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid317 View Post
    No, it really doesn't ever change but you do get used to it. I wear long sleeves in warmer weather than I used to and I used gloves more than in the past.

Personally, I don't think that the span of time is all that important. The point for me is to be able to keep my intake where I want it. My daily fasting is usually from 16 to 20 hours these days.

livinlite is offline Senior Member
    Unless it's against your fast, why not try some herbal or green tea?

I like ground ginger from the bulk bin steeped for a few minutes. From a chinese medicine perspective, it stimulates your yang (active) side, warms the digestion/stomach, etc. Green Tea is similar, but may give you a little caffeine buzz on an empty stomach depending on your sensitivity.

I'd recommend pu-erh tea, but only if you're a tea-nerd...like me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast