Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamb vs. Beef tallow page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

Lamb vs. Beef tallow

I'm thinking of getting a pail of tallow from US Wellness Meats, and their lamb tallow is cheaper than the beef tallow. Does beef tallow have any advantages over the lamb in either nutrition or taste?

Also, aside from frying things in it, what are some other good ways to incorporate tallow into a diet?

Thanks!
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried lamb tallow. If they have a small amount you can buy try it and tell us how it works out! I am constantly amazed at the ability of scrambled eggs to absorb fat -- what starts out as a puddle of oil is completely gone by the time the eggs are cooked.

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member
    I bought lamb and beef suet from Slanker's Meats, and have rendered the lamb but haven't done anything with the beef yet. I was really surprised by the smell of the lamb while it was melting. I think it might put some people off...it's not bad... just strong, and it lingered for hours. When i cook with it, it is definitely noticeable. I am hoping the beef will not have as strong of a smell. This is my first experience with it, so maybe I just got some really smelly lamb fat!

The taste is fine to me, but it seems to leave a coating in my mouth, more so than other fats. But again, this is my first batch so maybe I over cooked it or something. It's definitely usable, just not my favorite so far.
    www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
    www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Beef tallow is supposed to be the most neutral of the animal fats. Was the lamb tallow gamy, like actual lamb?

EDIT: That should read, "like lamb meat", not "like actual lamb". I'm sure it's lamb
    Last edited by AndreaReina; 01-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.

doug is offline Member
    Beef fat is milder than lamb fat in my opinion. They are both pretty much the same nutritionally. One advantage the lamb may have over the beef is lamb is pretty much guaranteed to be grassfed and finished. 100% grassfed beef can still be grain finished.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a pail of tallow from US Wellness Meats, and their lamb tallow is cheaper than the beef tallow. Does beef tallow have any advantages over the lamb in either nutrition or taste?

Also, aside from frying things in it, what are some other good ways to incorporate tallow into a diet?

Thanks!
    First, word of warning. If you don't have enough space to store Tallow in your freezer and refrigerator, do NOT buy. I made that mistake. I should have bought a couple of 2.25 pounds containers.

That being said, the Beef Tallow from US Wellness Meat (100% grass-fed and grass finished) is perfect. It doesn't impart a awful taste to foods. It does have a unique smell at first (especially when adding it to a hot skillet), but I seasoned well all my meats/foods, so I don't taste any tallow favor.

I have not tried the Lamb Tallow, though I will suspect that it will have a "gamy" favor.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Beef fat is milder than lamb fat in my opinion. They are both pretty much the same nutritionally. One advantage the lamb may have over the beef is lamb is pretty much guaranteed to be grassfed and finished. 100% grassfed beef can still be grain finished.
    It's my understanding that "100% grass-fed" means grass-fed and -finished, while a simple "grass-fed" may mean that it's been grain-finished.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Lamb fat is the one that I just cannot eat cold, or for cooking other foods in.

I LOVE roast lamb - but then I throw the fat out. And I think that historically this has been the case - an early form of lighting (mediaeval) was bullrushes dipped in lamb tallow to use as flares. And tallow candles made from lamb fat.

I find it leaves a sort of coating on my tongue - apart from the very strong taste. Now pork, beef, duck, goose - LOVE them!

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! Think I'll be picking the beef tallow for now; I already get enough complaints about how my food smells from my family, and I don't think frying up a super-gamey hunk of lamb fat would help my cause.
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just thought I would share my adventure making beef tallow...it was not pretty!

http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/...w-tragedy.html
    www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
    www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast