Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too many nuts?? page

Konstantin is offline Junior Member

too many nuts??

Shop Now
    Hello.
    ive got a question regarding nuts. at the moment i eat a lot of nuts (around 150 g)..i always had stomach issues but since it try to eat primal my "result in the toilet" is very, very soft ...is it possible that i eat too many nuts and that my stomach cant diggest them proberly??

thanks for your responses

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    My theory is that 150 grams of nuts in one sitting is way too many. But that's just my theory. I'd like to hear some other theories, too.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    give it a total rest for a week or two, see how you feel.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    That's a lot of nuts.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Had to convert that...more than 5 oz. Yeah, that's quite a bit. I'd feel queasy if I ate that many.

haha..i dont eat them in one sitting...!! i will give them a rest for a while and see how it works out..

but are there any chemical reasons to reduce the amount of nuts?? for example like the anti-nutrients in grains..(or too many PUFA)?

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    The only way I can eat nuts is to open the container, take out about a handful (small handful), put them in a small dish and then eat them slowly, one at a time. If I have the entire container in front of me, I eat way too many without even thinking about it. And I've learned that nuts are a treat I should enjoy no more than a few times a week and definitely not daily. But that's just me.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Yes, they are mostly high in n6 PUFAs, which are inflammatory. Also, raw nuts have enzyme inhibitors and anti-nutrients, which will affect the digestion and absorption of minerals. Mark writes about nuts here. I think the best nuts, as far as low PUFA, goes are macadamia nuts (0.4g/oz.) and hazelnuts (2.2g/oz.), with almonds not being too bad(3.4g/oz.) (I'm getting this just by looking up nutritional info for an ounce). I also find that nuts taste sweet when I haven't been eating commercial sweets, and it's really easy to overeat them instead foods that are actually good for you, like animal products and veggies. I have to wonder, if you're eating 800-900 calories of nuts every day, what you might be missing/undereating because you're too full from all those nuts.

thanks for all the replies...it seems to be a common problem to have diggestive issues after eating nuts...after reading marks article about the anti-nutrients in nuts its a surprise to me that "primal" people still eat them
    Last edited by Konstantin; 01-14-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Try soaking your nuts, it can reduce some of the gut irritants. Also chew them THOROUGHLY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast