Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: German speaking people page

traintolive is offline Senior Member

German speaking people

Shop Now
    Hey all!

Are there any Germans/German speaking people/People that used to- or live in Germany on here?
    I need some help with a few of the English terms I can't translate and also a few German foods.

Thank you.

How does "Paleo" translate? How "Blueprint", "Grok", "Primal"

and what about eating Currywurst, Schinkenwurst, etc.? Is it okay?

Chani is offline Junior Member
    Hi,

"paleo" with regard to diet would be "steinzeitlich". "Paleo Diet" is "Steinzeitdiät" (though I think this sound kinda silly). "Blueprint" is "Bauplan". I'm not sure how I would call "primal" and "Grok" is just a name.

Currywurst is served with lots of ketchup (=lots of sugar) or some other weird sugary sauce. And you have to keep in mind that many sausages contain gluten, especially the heavily processed ones (like Wiener, Weißwurst and also Schinkenwurst). I eat them occasionally but I prefer stuff like Salami, Schinken, Blutwurst, Leberwurst - in general the more "chunky" ones.

Oh and by the way, here are two good online German-English dictionaries: http://dict.leo.org and www.dict.cc

Regards!
    Last edited by Chani; 01-14-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Jefferson is offline Member
    I'm not a German speaker, but I do find the language very interesting.

Is Steinzeit literally Stone Age?

runman1954 is offline Member
    I'm of German descent and lived there a total of 9 years, just got back from a trip there in September, but some words just aren't translatable. I would just google it. Wusts are good but remember most are a meat by product meaning they are made up of scraps from other cuts, not always the best choice. Kinda like a hot dog.

Chani is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Is Steinzeit literally Stone Age?
    Exactly.

I have heard the word "Steinzeitdiät" used for paleo-like diets a few of times here in Germany, but I think it makes the whole thing sound a bit like a fad.

Mandolin is offline Senior Member
    Say what you must about currywurst, but damn is it delicious Maybe you could make some up w/ some good sausages and Mark's recipe for ketchup from the PB cookbook? Yum.

anne is offline Member
    I found it easiest to not really talk about the BP at all but when I do, I rather describe that they way I'm eating now is supposed to be similar to what we ate before thr arrival of agriculture. Not only does any translation (or just using the english terms) sound weird imo but to me it also sounds a bit like blindly following some kind of plan. And while in theory that might even be what we are doing, I don't want to describre it that way.

I still eat sausages (frankfurter, bergsteiger and all the other awesome kinds that I missed sooo much as a vegetarian) but I want to stop or at least eat much less of them. There is a pretty good forum about making sausages ("wursten") at chefkoch.de and I already bought almost everything I need. I'm just hoping that I will be able to make something that is at least edible.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I lived in Germany and Austria for several years and regularly read the electronic version of the Neue Zürcher Zeitung. In July they had an article about Erwan La Corre that used several paleo/primal terms. I imagine there must be similar articles in other newspapers and magazines.

I think there are several German foods that are unfortunately not primal, certainly not the chocoloate or Haribo/Katjes candy and unfortunately not the Musli or Vollkornbrot or any other type of bread. And very sadly not the beer or wine. As to sausages, I think they are all ok but ketchup is not the best choice to have with them, mustard I think is fine though. Other things that are delicious and paleo to eat would be Landjäger and just about any meat as long as it is not heavily breaded--unfortunately Wienerschnitzel are heavily breaded.

I love that there are Markklosschen in German cuisine. Although not strictly primal, I would make exceptions for those.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
    And very sadly not the beer or wine.
    I actually still drink beer and wine. And also booze like vodka, whisky, rum, etc. I still miss a good, big and crusty piece of bread to my smoked ham and whisky. I won't shut that off, maybe reduce, but that's all I guess.

PrimalCon New York
    Thank you so much, that really helped me out a lot! Vielen Dank!!!
    So if I understood it right according to the online-translator, then "gluten" translates to "Kleber" or "Klebereiweiss", which does not really help me.
    It's often hard to translate those things, since there are so many meanings, plus it's hard when those things belong in the kitchen.

I think primal would be "Ur..." and how did Mark come up with "Grok" ?? So there is no special meaning, he just made that name up and thought it would make a good stoneage-name??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast