Thread: almond flour pizza crust page

primal_dave is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

If you still enjoy pizza, I found this recipe for making it with almond flour. Dress it up with real tomatoes, aged cheese, or whatever you want.

It has a bread-like taste and consistency, but you can still tell it's nut flour. Good for a "Friday night and a movie" - theme for me once in a while, and I actually prefer this to the junk-food pizza I used to eat once upon a time. I've never tried it with anything other than almonds, but I'm sure the Omega balance could be improved by playing with it a little:

1 3/4 cup nut flour (I've been using almond flour. I make it in my vitamix blender, and I can buy raw almonds pretty cheap where I live)

1 packet dry yeast

1/4 tsp granulated sugar

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup 110 degree water

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in water and allow to rest for 8 minutes. The yeast usually ends up foaming up pretty good. In a separate bowl, combine the nut flour and salt. When I'm pretty sure the yeast has devoured all the sugar, I pour the yeast mixture over the flour and mix well with a spoon.

Then, I heat up my $20 pizza stone from BB& Beyond. Make sure you grease it up with a good amount of fat and keep the heat at about 375.

Spread the "dough" out on the stone (again, it helps to use a TON of fat so the nuts don't stick to the stone) and bake for 10 minutes at 375.

Pull it out, top it and back in the oven for about 15 minutes or until you're satisfied with the color.

I haven't tried it without the yeast yet, but I'm wondering if that does something to the flavor, as I've tried nut flour recipes in the past that have never come out quite this good.

Feedback, suggestions?

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

just wondering is yeast primal?

I did the almond flour crust on this and thought it was ok but not like gooey chewy dough, but oh well..........I don't wanna be fat no more lol xoox Darlene

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Yes, I was wandering the same thing.

By the way, there's also a pizza crust recipe made from cauliflower. I've tried that one before and although crust itself gets kind of soggy, the whole thing taste pretty awesome.

primal_dave is offline Junior Member

I've no idea if yeast is primal. I don't eat it very often...but I def noticed a taste and texture diff with and without the yeast. I know it's not doing anything to raise the nut flour but it's doing something to the taste at the very least.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I made a pizza last weekend with almond flour. I took a picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42954284@N06/3957471136/

3 cups of almond flour

3 eggs

3 tsp olive oil

2 tsp salt

mash all together and spread into pizza shape on non-stick baking pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Put your toppings on it and bake for another 15. Totally satisfied my pizza craving and no effect on my blood sugar. My 2 hour post prandial was 104 after I ate 2 slices.

GotPrimal Guest

DCKMA,

I made this recipe earlier this weekend. It came out pretty well! Followed your directions.

My only complaint is that the dough was so sticky i had a hard time spreading it to the appropriate thickness.

Any suggestions anyone? Maybe another egg? Or putting it in the fridge overnight?

I called mine the Primal Pig Pizza (3P):

organic pepperoni and salami

organic mex cheese mix

and organize tomatoes sauce (no extra sugar added, I used this sparingly)

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

gotta lube your hands up with oil when handling the dough. It's easier to spread out that way.