Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maymay's Primal Journal page

Megan.Eng is offline Member

Maymay's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hey all. My name is Megan but Maymay works too.

I was diagnosed with diabetes (Type II) in December, and the doc wanted to put me on an Rx. I talked to my dad and my uncle and both are the type to say phooey to Conventional Wisdom. My dad doesn't like medicine, and my uncle is actually a Grokstar himself. He's lost 50 lbs and completely got his blood pressure and diabetes under control. He gave me a copy of his books under one condition: I have to cook for him. My conventionally sound meals are delicious, so using better quality items should increase eating pleasure exponentially. I've found that to be a true statement.

It's been 5 days since I started eating Primally.

B: IF.
    L: Vegetable beef soup with organic broth.
    Heaping plate of salad with lemon juice, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, red beets.
    6 oz steak, med-rare, grilled to perfection.
    An aside: today was the first day I ate the fat on the side of the steak. I've always cut it off. After I ate the steak, I was so freaking full. It was delicious.
    S: was still pretty full.
    D: Half of a romaine lettuce head salad with avo, red and green bell peppers, cucumber, tomato, beets, walnuts, and a olive oil/lemon dressing. I ate this first so I wouldn't cheat nearly as much with the entree.
    Low carb pasta, made with fatty delicious Italian sausage, 1.5 red bell, 1 green bell, 1lb mushrooms, 1 red onion, 3 garlic cloves, red pepper flakes and 2 fresh tomatoes.
    S: 1 square of my delicious 85% dark chocolate.

I cheated today. But I'm a poor college kid waiting on my financial aid so I can buy groceries. I'm at the bottom of the barrel right now, but I still have some good meat in the freezer and some frozen veggies, and enough salad to last me a while longer.

The boy's grandma doesn't speak english but she DID walk over and tug at my loose sweats and say "you no fat!"

I've got to be doing something right!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are off to a great start! Grok on!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Official day 2

Today I started getting back into the swing of things, sleep schedule wise. I got up at 7, took Marcus for a walk and went to Chinatown with my almost-husband's grandma. Lots of walking, at a quick pace, while dodging other people.

Breakfast: Smashed bananas. (1 banana, handful of pecans. Has a similar consistency to mushy oatmeal.)
    S: Was gonna cheat with a chinese sponge cake pastry. But I didn't. So nothing.
    L: A little more than a quarter of a roast duck. Steamed mixed veggies. Oh jesus god, I forgot about msg. After that little stunt, I was in bed with a baby migraine for 2 hours. One nap later, and a butt ton of water and I'm fine.
    D: BAS. Hubby-to-be partook, and we shared:
    1 romaine lettuce and some spring mix, red and green bell, 1/2# white button mushrooms, cucumber, avo, turkey, bacon, a yellow apple, tomato, and golden beets. For dressing we used my delicious lemon.olive oil mix.
    1# sauteed lamb with basil, lemon and olive oil.
    caprese salad: tomato, mozzarella cheese, basil, olive oil, salt, peper.

Poke me with a fork, this turkey is done!

DH's mom is so nice- she bought me a beautiful coat today, and she thought since I have been losing weight it might fit, and got a large instead of the XL. I appreciate the compliment, but the girls (my chesticles) haven't shrunk in the least. Usually that's the first place I lose weight with any sort of dietary changes. I personally don't mind, but I love that damned coat! It's my goal right now: Be able to wear the coat.

So. Diabetes. Thank god for PB?
    My doctor wrote me an Rx for glucotrol, but I don't really want it, right? With just roughly 1 week of primal my numbers went from 250-300 down to today's pre-dinner check of 116. With CW's help, I had gotten it down from the 350 range to 250, but that was cutting bread, potatoes, and regular pasta. Tonight I could have died of happiness. I thought the headache was from the msg(which I'm sure had a factor in it) but it could also be because I've never had my numbers this low. At my appointment I think I'll be giving her my Rx back. I found a much healthier alternative to pills.

Thank you all who have responded and encouraged every new member to this lifestyle change. Your encouragement is what keeps me sane with CW-believers tell me I'll die from all that fat.
    Last edited by Megan.Eng; 01-14-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: I dun spel so gud.

1/15/11

B: small apple, shared with almost-husband, and a small handful of almonds.
    L: sirloin tips grill with mushrooms and onions, 2 eggs scrambly style, 10 grapes, couple bites of cantaloupe and honey dew melon. lots o water.
    D: Salmon, red snapper, beef with bok choy, spinach salad with tomatoes, fresh, delish mozzarella cheese, and a spicy mustard/red wine vinegarette.
    S: 1 square dark chocolate. Stress will kill me, I think. I'm an emotional eater. In my family when someone dies, celebrates something, is mad, is depressed, is sad, is hurt, is sick-- there's a meal we can cook to make it better. Damn.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Emotional eater here too. Keep up the good work. The longer you are on primal the easier it will be to deal with feelings without food.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

jguyc is offline Member
    Outstanding job on the the blood sugars, same thing happened with mine. 5 years of taking drugs to lower bloodsugar and it never worked? 6 weeks of PB and damn near normal readings

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    It's always amazing to me how fast PB works for diabetics. You are doing a fantasteak job. Keep it up! Just keeps getting better and better!! (I'm a Type 2 diagnosed in 2004, FBG around 80 now, last A1C 5.2, lost 80+ pounds)
    Excited for your journey!!
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

2/1/11

Okay, let's try this again.

The first of every month I will:
    1. Set an attainable goal.
    2. Post measurements.

Daily:
    1. Food intake.
    2. Exercise log.
    3. Vent, if needed.

Goal for this month: Chest press 100 pounds, 2 reps of 15.
    Measurements (In inches)
    The girls:45
    Waist:45
    Hips:46
    Upper arm:13
    Thighs:25.5
    Calves:16.5

While I'm not normally one to make excuses, I ALWAYS feel fatter on period week. My waist is up from the 43 it was two weeks ago. Gimme a few more days.. It'll be back down again. I guarantee.

Breakfast:
    4 slices bacon
    2 fried eggs, fried with bacon fat.

Lunch:
    A Hand full of: Red bell peppers, green bell peppers, carrots, red onion, zucchini, mushrooms, black olives, celery, green onion.
    A couple of thin slices of beef
    Tomato basil sauce.
    A couple shavings of Parmesan cheese.

Dinner:
    Roasted Cornish hens with butter and garlic.
    Red chard sauteed with bacon.
    [strike]Broccoli, lightly steamed.[/strike] Kale sauteed in DELICIOUS coconut oil.

Exercise:
    Play with the dogs for an hour. Run, chase, tag, roll in the grass with them. The good stuff.
    15-45 minutes on the Gazelle.

I'm pretty excited. Delicious lunch for tomorrow! I have another post about cheap food options, and those Cornish hens were 2/$1.00. I got four, for a total of $2.00 since California doesn't charge tax on food.

I'm in a cardio class at my campus, and I don't know if it qualifies as "Chronic Cardio."
    Stage 1- Rowing machines.
    Stage 2- Bikes.
    Stage 3- The wall: push ups, sit ups, pull ups, jump ropes, yoga balls, body bars, stretching info, medicine balls, etc.
    Stage 4- Elliptical machines.
    Stage 5- Treadmills.
    Stage 6- Weight machines: Lateral pull-down, leg curls and extensions, rotary torso, chest press, calf raises, abdominal press/back extension (I don't use this machine.), arm curls/extensions, and a shoulder press machine.

The class is 2x a week, and on days I don't have class I like to use my Tony Little Gazelle after dinner. It helps with my fasting sugars, and I do about 3 hours of walking a day- from my house to public transit, and then all around campus, and then back home again. I feel awesome after cardio class, but I don't know if that's just "runner's high" or what have you. I hope not. I thoroughly enjoy it.

I live with my dad and I'm slowly but surely convincing him there's something to this whole Primal Blueprint thing. At first he was like "ABSOLUTELY NOT. I am gonna eat my bread and carbs, and you can do what you want." In the last month, just by changing dinner, (because I cook and he eats what I cook) his tight work pants fit a little better.

My sister, who is also overweight, just got told by her doctor she needs to lower her cholesterol. My sister has no history of heart disease in her family, but her doctor gave her this "Mediterranean food pyramid." The very tip of the pyramid? Meat. The doctor said she could eat more sugar and flour and grains than she could meat. Fucking facepalm. The doctor did at least say she should eat a lot more fish, but that she should still eat more grains than meat. And basically no eggs. Ever. Under any circumstance.

After some convincing by me, and affirmation from my dad, my sister looked at the website. I showed her Griff's eat this, not that post, and explained that I'm going super strict so I can lower my sugars and lose weight. That means no grains, no sugars, no fruit, less nuts, lots of meat, and veggies and healthy fats. My sister's imbecile boyfriend decided to tell me that I would die without sugar. DIE. Seriously? Back in the Grok days, he couldn't just walk to the store to find sugar. He got it through seasonal fruits, some veggies, good stuff. I tried to explain that, but he apparently knows all there is to know. I told him I disagreed, and he can say "I told you so" at my funeral if I died. I'm afraid he'll try to undermine the PB and get her to stay conventional.

Hekka long post today. Sorry, guys. Here's to a healthier tomorrow.
    Last edited by Megan.Eng; 02-01-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: change in plans

2/2/11

B: Fasted. Felt amazing during my cardio class.
    L: Big Fat Effin' Cheat.
    Indian food. Chicken Tika Masala.
    Naan.
    I know. But I wholeheartedly think it was worth it.
    D: Cubed steaks pan seared in bacon fat.
    Steamed Broccoli with butter

Lots of water. Do lemon slices count as "fruit?" I just use one or two per 64 ounces of water.

So in my experiment, tentatively called "Fuck Meds," I haven't taken my metformin. It's a low dose, and my sugars are still low without it. I think I'll call the Doc and see if I can continue.

ALL of the cardio stations today. Felt great.

2/3/11

B: Half of a delicious ass smoothie.
    1 c blueberries
    1/3 c flax seed
    1 tbsp cocoa
    1 c full fat coconut milk
    3 ice cubes

1 salmon patty:
    ground up nut blend of hazlenuts, pecans, and walnuts
    egg
    canned salmon
    bacon grease to cook in.

L: 3 salmon patties
    1 c carrots
    1.5 c broccoli
    1 tbsp coconut oil

D: Half of smoothie
    6 oz steak
    1/2 bag of frozen normandy blend.

Exercise didn't happen. I'm in an emotional tug of war at the moment, so while I didn't exercise, I ALSO didn't shove my face full of crap. I guess it's a fair trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast