Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USDA Dietary Guidelines for 2010 (NEW!) page

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member

USDA Dietary Guidelines for 2010 (NEW!)

Primal Fuel
    USDA released their suggested Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010 (not sure if they did so publicly).
    A quick run down of what I managed to see before getting pissed off enough to almost leave work, apparently in response to the growing epidemic of diabetes in this country the requirements for school nutrition will be:
    -More fruit consumption for kids mandated
    -More grain (whole) consumption mandated, wheat and rye specifically recommended.
    -Schools will no longer be able to serve full fat or even reduced fat milk but will continue to be able to serve sugary flavored skim and 1% milks
    -Less meats with a recommendation to utilize more legumes instead
    -USDA is looking for help in how to properly implement servings of tofu so that we can start cramming our kids with even more soy

Fun fact: in the Original School Lunch legislation the options for protein were meat or "meat alternatives" the bill made reference to what the meat alternatives were: "poultry or fish". Now "meat alternatives" means beans, lowfat yogurt, lowfat cheese and nuts/seeds

Alternatively, the act of homeschooling itself technically would be more primal-like...

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Thank god! Finally, they're seeing the light! After all these years, they're finally making the needed changes.

... wait, no. The opposite of that.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Martha is offline Senior Member
    A high incidence of chronic disease is enabled/encouraged by miseducation about nutrition and by recommending and enforcing unhealthy food regimens. There is a great deal of money to be made from a populace that is sick enough to require ongoing care and medications.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    The silver lining in it (albeit very slender) is that they are accepting comments on the recommendations until April. They do actually pay attention to the comments so write in, have your primal friends write in and tell anyone you think has a decent head on their shoulders to do the same. It's most likely too late for 2010 but with a decent amount of comments this time along with the NIH finally starting to get interest in correct nutrition maybe there will be some willingness to listen to real science for 2015.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thank god! Finally, they're seeing the light! After all these years, they're finally making the needed changes.

... wait, no. The opposite of that.
    +100
    Strength and Honor

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Good to know that I'll be packing my kid's lunch when she starts going to school!

Reason #497 that we homeschool.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    More grain? Don't they already have something like 3 starch servings in the school lunch already? I suppose moving to whole grain is a glimmer of sanity, but that's still way more starch than anyone needs. I live near a school and it really shocks me how many of the kids are chubby, and some of them already quite obese. I guess we have the agribusiness lobby and corrupt/witless politicians to thank for that.

I was watching that Jamie Oliver show on school lunches awhile back and was shocked looking at the plates. No wonder those kids never ate their veg. There was so much starch on the plate, they didn't have to. They could fill up on that before they ever had to touch the veggies. They were giving 6 year olds more food than I could eat as a full grown adult. In addition to the milk being lowfat, they've also added all these sweetened, flavored milks to encourage kids to drink them. They have more sugar than a soda. So basically these kids are likely getting more calories than I do for lunch with a small fraction of the nutrition. Then they go back to their classes flooded with sugar. Maybe that's why so many kids are getting diagnosed with ADD these days. Feed them properly and they'd be able to pay attention.

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff just gets me so irate.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya, DaisyEater. The only thing Primal parents can do is ensure their kids are rockin' lunches, Primal style. Talk to other parents when possible, but be happy with what they can affect.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Tom Naughton did a great mock interview with the folks who wrote the guidelines, and included some great quotes.
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...han-last-time/

My favorite quote from the 2010 guidelines:
    "However, it should be noted that when MUFA or PUFA are substituted by any kind of carbohydrates, CHD risk increased."
    -- section D3-16
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publication...holesterol.pdf

Kind of like an exit strategy for the USDA if you ask me.

Here's a great journal study that comments on the USDA's continued bad advice as seen in the 2010 guidelines:
    http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article...289-3/abstract

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast